Overall Average miles/kWh

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
It seems like our MG 5 L/ R has its AVG m/ kW stuck at 3.6, it has been this number since about November.
It could be just the colder weather/ cumulative, but seems odd it has not moved even 0.1.
Daily use over the winter were typically 3.3/3.6 the last 2 months 3.6/4.2.
Average up till late September 22 was 4.4.
Some lower m) kW Sept- Dec was because of the MG5 tyre pressure readout ( from memory) 2lb too high ie indicated 2.2 bar actual 2.0 bar

3.6 is very good for the weather we've had this winter. My average is probably nearer 3.0

Just reset the accumulated trip and start again. As @Jomarkh said it will now take a long time to alter the average by much with 4100 miles at 3.6 already under it's belt.

Reset on the 1st of the month and join this club:

Am wrong in expecting a change sooner- problem is I do eco driving all the time( actually now for 59+ years) the main driver Mrs RogerWill is Italian !

Error 50 + years, 25 motorbikes and 27 cars- my last car a Citroen Berlingo 130D averaged 62mpg( dash reading) in its last year

Am wrong in expecting a change sooner- problem is I do eco driving all the time( actually now for 59+ years) the main driver Mrs RogerWill is Italian !

Error 50 + years, 25 motorbikes and 27 cars- my last car a Citroen Berlingo 130D averaged 62mpg( dash reading) in its last year
My impression is that eco driving in an electric car is a very different from any of the ICE cars I've had. I can drive my FL Trophy really quite enthusiastically around town and on A roads and it doesn't affect the range much but once on the motorway cruising at a steady 70 has a large impact. My old Citroen C5 diesel was quite the opposite.

My previous car, a VW ID.4, gave its most efficient performance when in Sport mode, which did not seem logical to me. I've had my MG5 SE for 2 weeks now and have done 900 miles of varied motorway, A-road and town driving, trying out each of the Eco, Comfort and Sport modes. With the exception of motorway driving, I am consistently achieving 3.8-4.2 miles/kWh in Sport mode versus 3.3-4.0 in Eco. Don't understand this so I'm going to try keeping it in Sport mode for as long as I can, which means ~10 days to take SOC from 80% to 20%, then charge back to 80% SOC and run in Eco until back to 20% SOC to see how close they are. Might leave these tests until it stops being Baltic up here in Orkney though 🥶

It seems like our MG 5 L/ R has its AVG m/ kW stuck at 3.6, it has been this number since about November.
It could be just the colder weather/ cumulative, but seems odd it has not moved even 0.1.
Some lower m) kW Sept- Dec was because of the MG5 tyre pressure readout ( from memory) 2lb too high ie indicated 2.2 bar actual 2.0 bar
I have been the same but yesterday because it was a bit warmer I averaged 4.2. I am hoping for another increase later. i charged my. Ar overnight and I see I gave now 229 miles on a full charge. Getting better

We do 400 miles a week, but I zero every morning when I've recharged and at the mo getting around 3.6 but will expect an increase as the weather warms up. As others have said, if you let it go 1000's before resetting, changes in reported mpkw will be infrequent. Off to Southampton tomorrow with a roof box, so will interested to see with warmer forecast

3.6 over winter? I wish! I’ve been lucky to get to 3 with my heavy foot, I was pleased to get 4.3 today with the temperature in double figures and no rain clouds in sight

I have been the same but yesterday because it was a bit warmer I averaged 4.2. I am hoping for another increase later. i charged my. Ar overnight and I see I gave now 229 miles on a full charge. Getting better
Same here,229 miles, gradually creaping up, but having done no long distances for a few months, suspect the previous 3.6m/ kW is throwing it's alogrithm! into the result.
Tomorrow we will be doing 200+ miles, so mebe all the numbers will go up

My previous car, a VW ID.4, gave its most efficient performance when in Sport mode, which did not seem logical to me. I've had my MG5 SE for 2 weeks now and have done 900 miles of varied motorway, A-road and town driving, trying out each of the Eco, Comfort and Sport modes. With the exception of motorway driving, I am consistently achieving 3.8-4.2 miles/kWh in Sport mode versus 3.3-4.0 in Eco. Don't understand this so I'm going to try keeping it in Sport mode for as long as I can, which means ~10 days to take SOC from 80% to 20%, then charge back to 80% SOC and run in Eco until back to 20% SOC to see how close they are. Might leave these tests until it stops being Baltic up here in Orkney though 🥶
Sport mode will allow more coasting, while eco limits power output and will have a higher regen. It all depends on the type of journey that you are making. Changing modes to suit during a journey will return the best efficiency.

Your comment prompted me to look at my average kWh. I was surprised to see a reading of 4.3. Then I realised that I had reset it last Week end when visiting my daughter in Wales. I have the old MG 5 (now well over two years old). The reason for this reading I put down to the fact that I tend to avoid motorways if possible. The journey from Leicester to my daughter in Wales is 116miles by Google maps, but using the MG 5 built in navigator, set to avoid motorways, is only 101 miles. This doesn't mean it's quicker of course, in fact it's 25% slower. However I find the drive more relaxing it's like it was in the 1950's you get to see a lot more of the countryside and a lot less traffic. On top of that I have the satisfaction of saving substantial energy and money.

Slight tangent - and a serious point not intending to offend - if you have time and are old enough, grab yourself a senior bus pass. You can sit on the top deck of a bus for free and see loads of stuff you never see when driving, either because of hedges and walls or because you are (hopefully) concentrating on your driving. Also you can get somewhere and have a pint of two without being named driver!!

Just don't do it at school turning out time...

Did a 100 mile each way trip to north London.
My wife drive up, A3, M25, to Barnet.
Mostly she drove 45- 70 mph AVG 3.6 m/ kWh temperature 11 - 14°C.
I drive back 14 - 16 °C 50/69 mph AVG 4.2 m/ kWh.
Typically in the past in our shared diesel she would return 35-45 mpg ,I 50-55+ mpg.
Note 2 on board and about 100kg of garden machinery and family stuff
By holding a steady speed, you are carrying the mass, by changing speed, you are forever accelerating, you will use more energy, even with re-gen topping up on the deceleration.
NOTE - our overall m/ kWh is still locked at 3.6.
So our trip cost us £12 in electricity.
My brother in law's A6 ( 2.0 D )cost him £40 @ 40 mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight tangent - and a serious point not intending to offend - if you have time and are old enough, grab yourself a senior bus pass. You can sit on the top deck of a bus for free and see loads of stuff you never see when driving, either because of hedges and walls or because you are (hopefully) concentrating on your driving. Also you can get somewhere and have a pint of two without being named driver!!

Just don't do it at school turning out time...
Thanks for your suggestion. I have held a bus pass for 22 years and frequently use it. The point that I was trying to make is the fact that the MG 5ev has a good built in navigator that will, if you ask it, find the shortest route which saves energy by increasing your miles/kWh and reducing the distance travelled. By way of a bonus you get to travel on quieter roads reminiscent of the ones I used in the 1950's which I personally find more relaxing than hurtling down motorways at 70mph with thousands other vehicles. The fact that the journey takes perhaps 15 minutes longer / 100 miles is of no consequence to me, if anything it adds to the enjoyment of driving in the British countryside.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom