Overcharged by BP Chargemaster

AdeB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Charged up today on a new BP Chargemaster 7kw unit in a Bristol NCP car park. Arrived with about 30 miles showing on the GOM and, after plugging in (without issue) the charge time was showing as 5:43.

By the time we got back to the car, the display was showing 22 minutes left - which, by the time the kids were loaded in, was almost zero - so we’d taken in probably around 34kw in just less than five hours.

So I was very surprised when checking the charging history in the app when I got home. According to Chargemaster, I’d used just over 78kw, ie nearly twice the car’s capacity!

I’ve called them and the issue has been ‘escalated’. I’ve only had the car since Monday, but my two other Polar/Chargemaster charging events have been without issue.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, either with Polar or anyone else?

Are you sure the app is not showing the total usage (e.g. month or week) including one or more of the other charging events.

Are you sure the app is not showing the total usage (e.g. month or week) including one or more of the other charging events.

Yes. The app shows the charge amount for each event, not cumulatively.
4E130068-E761-430B-AFA5-B82B16E4A8CF.png

And another oddity is that the total £ doesn’t correspond to either the energy taken by the car or the amount the unit says it used 🧐

Yes. The app shows the charge amount for each event, not cumulatively.
View attachment 603
And another oddity is that the total £ doesn’t correspond to either the energy taken by the car or the amount the unit says it used 🧐
@AdeB
I think you will have to wait for a reply from them to know the exact reason for the overcharge.
I have heard of a lot of overcharging fees but these were mainly to non members who try just to use Polar/BP chargemaster for the first time on a pay as you use bases. I believe some have had multiple charges of £30 especially where they attempted to use rapid chargers.
You should get a refund if you are a member of polar.

Yes @AdeB, it seems to have charged you 10p/kWh :unsure:
My Pod point app has been hit and miss a couple of times, it showed "no cost" on one home charge and didn't show a free charge I got at Tescos Podpoint on Friday at all.
I have the Polar Instant app which connects to chargemaster chargers which costs me a very reasonable 18p/kWh, I didn't subscribe to the Polar plus at £7.85 a month as I will rarely be charging at polar points as there are none near me.
That figure they charged you looks very close to the monthly fee, are you sure it's not that as I believe you get free charging if you subscribe.

@AdeB
I think you will have to wait for a reply from them to know the exact reason for the overcharge.
I have heard of a lot of overcharging fees but these were mainly to non members who try just to use Polar/BP chargemaster for the first time on a pay as you use bases. I believe some have had multiple charges of £30 especially where they attempted to use rapid chargers.
You should get a refund if you are a member of polar.

Yes, I’m not expecting anyone here to provide a solution - that’s down to Chargemaster - but I was curious about anyone else who’d had a similar experience.

Yes @AdeB, it seems to have charged you 10p/kWh :unsure:
My Pod point app has been hit and miss a couple of times, it showed "no cost" on one home charge and didn't show a free charge I got at Tescos Podpoint on Friday at all.
I have the Polar Instant app which connects to chargemaster chargers which costs me a very reasonable 18p/kWh, I didn't subscribe to the Polar plus at £7.85 a month as I will rarely be charging at polar points as there are none near me.
That figure they charged you looks very close to the monthly fee, are you sure it's not that as I believe you get free charging if you subscribe.

Thanks @Kithmo - it’s weird that none of the figures really add up in any respect. I’m currently on the free trial (and only had my key fob since Monday) so there shouldn’t be any charges due. And of course, there’s no way a 7kw charger could supply that amount in less than five hours 😂

Was there another EV charging on the same post, I'm thinking maybe the app activated more than one socket and you paid for their charge as well ?

Well, I was impressed with BP Chargemaster. They called today, apologised for the hassle, acknowledged there was clearly a problem with the charger and refunded the entire amount. A reassuring example of good customer service!

They also said they were sending out an engineer to check the unit...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom