Paint problems MG5 SR red.

sido

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have noticed a blemish under the paint in the roof picture attached. Supplier sent me to body shop who polished it and it looked much better but they said they couldn’t guarantee it would not show again in colder weather. I have had my car a month now and have several chips showing down to undercoat again pictures attached first chip on lower rear drivers side door other two on bonnet, one on the front and one on the side. Is anyone else noticing anything like this? I am wondering if this tri coat paint is more susceptible to blemishes / chipping than other colours/ paint.

Attachments

• 603CBBC9-E558-47D8-A1A8-351C574F75FD.jpeg
    603CBBC9-E558-47D8-A1A8-351C574F75FD.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 1DDC3363-07E3-415B-ABCB-4182F8FBC9BF.jpeg
    1DDC3363-07E3-415B-ABCB-4182F8FBC9BF.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 251
  • 1BBFD4F0-72D1-4BB0-AC6F-76099A86AD16.jpeg
    1BBFD4F0-72D1-4BB0-AC6F-76099A86AD16.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 3FB24221-AB80-4287-9CDD-B0063F17AAA3.jpeg
    3FB24221-AB80-4287-9CDD-B0063F17AAA3.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 255
Nothing like that on my car (also red).
Has the roof ever experienced significant bird poo?

Mine is okay so far, although I got mine ceramic coated which might help the paint.

Nothing like that on my car (also red).
Has the roof ever experienced significant bird poo?
No bird poo or anything else I can think of which would stain like that.

Hi
That does not look right, I have had my MG5EV for six month and no problem
Its left outside in all weather and has birdmuck and tree sap and has always cleans up like new I have not had any paint chips and drive along lots of rough welsh lanes
It did have an autoglym treatment when new (it was free )
I wonder if your paint was correctly processed? If it is a problem there may be other cars made at the same time ? Vin numbers may help point to a process problem as they will be painted in batches
mine is LSJE22094LG117712
I would go back to the dealer and complain again and get a better solution to the problem particulary as the paint colour is an expensive option.
I remember the problems had by Ford with their silver mink metallic paint in the late sixtes and early seventies!!!

Have you had the Paint protection done on it and if so which one ?
Reason I ask is I thought it may be hard water spots underneath the paint protection film where whoever applied it didn't clean it properly first.

I would say the damage on the roof is caused by damp under the clear coat. Most likely caused by the protective wrap in transport. Bonnet chips and scratches are caused by stones being thrown up by the lead vehicle or passing vehicles.door scratch most likely another cars door has struck it.

going by the pictures I would say MG have given it a decent coat of paint. Paint takes at least 12months to cure and is susceptible to damage in this time.

No bird poo or anything else I can think of which would stain like that.
Hi
I would agree with Mg5van it looks like moisture or some kind of contaminant is between the layers of base and top coat
Is the picture of the roof before or after it went to the body shop
I think it should be sent to a body shop to be repainted by the dealership
Good luck hope you get it sorted
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks very much for all of your responses. I did not have life shine applied but believe dealer did as I bought car pre registered and the paint shop I took it to said it had been done. The photograph was before paint shop visit and it still looks ok now. I will wait and see if it reappears and in the meantime I have asked the dealer to log the issue. The paint shop said if the marks re appear it will require the whole roof to be repainted. Thanks again for you comments and suggestions

Had zero issues with my dynamic red, just polished regularly by one fair hand. I would suggest that the issue here is a fault with the painting in the factory. I had a Seat once, also in red, that was resprayed several times under warranty and eventually had to be stripped down to the metal and repainted.

I have noticed a blemish under the paint in the roof picture attached. Supplier sent me to body shop who polished it and it looked much better but they said they couldn’t guarantee it would not show again in colder weather. I have had my car a month now and have several chips showing down to undercoat again pictures attached first chip on lower rear drivers side door other two on bonnet, one on the front and one on the side. Is anyone else noticing anything like this? I am wondering if this tri coat paint is more susceptible to blemishes / chipping than other colours/ paint.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had my 5ev for eleven months and it cleans up looking like new. Mine is just the basic white though.

Hi
That does not look right, I have had my MG5EV for six month and no problem
Its left outside in all weather and has birdmuck and tree sap and has always cleans up like new I have not had any paint chips and drive along lots of rough welsh lanes
It did have an autoglym treatment when new (it was free )
I wonder if your paint was correctly processed? If it is a problem there may be other cars made at the same time ? Vin numbers may help point to a process problem as they will be painted in batches
mine is LSJE22094LG117712
I would go back to the dealer and complain again and get a better solution to the problem particulary as the paint colour is an expensive option.
I remember the problems had by Ford with their silver mink metallic paint in the late sixtes and early seventies!!!
Same here, had mine since July and mo such problems and it cleans up lovely, even with bird poo.

Having worked in body shops for 35 years I have seen this before, and as previously mentioned it does look like damp or separation of the lacquer from the base coats, due to application contamination. There is an outside chance that if ceramic coated over previous waxing or poor prep work has taken place, that this as previously mentioned could cause similar effects, but if as you say the vehicle paint has been cut back by your repair shop, that should have removed the faulty coating, and should result in no further reoccurrence of the problem. (If you are lucky )
At least if you do have to have the roof re' painted, it is whilst a big job, good in respects that colour match to existing colour should blend in well as it can be flashed out on the A posts and C quarter panels. I say this as on my car, I have had matching problems with this 3 coat red, the matching to the adjacent side panels is an ongoing headache. But it is a price I guess i have to pay for the luxury of choosing trie coat red.

Thank you Jacobite this is exceptional advice given your knowledge and experience, much appreciated

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom