Paint protection

picking my ZS up this week (14 months old) and have been offered Supagard protection at a cost of nearly £400 !

The kit from Supagard to do everything yourself is on offer at £70 at the minute

I may go for that and have a good day with it, though I think the kit is for after they have done the protection themselves.

I had Gen3 on my last car, a Prius, still looked as good as new after 5 years not garaged, kept outside on my drive.
I decided to go for paint protection on the ZS last July, the dealer used GardX for £199. I was initially impressed at the way the water ran off and the car seemed to clean itself every time it rained. But on closer inspection as I was cleaning the car I noticed water spots that didn't come off with cleaning and light swirl marks and I ended up using Meguires paint cleaner followed by a polymer polish to correct it.
I guess it depends how the dealer applies it, if it's put on properly then it's great, as @Jester27 says above you're better off letting a professional detailer do it rather than the dealer, or do it yourself.

I agree with the Meguires
Just done my SQ5 prior to selling it.
3 stage - Clean, polish and Wax
Absolutely stunning finish, rain water will not sit on the car and looks as good a new once dry.

Cost for the SUPAGARD sealant and sponge on eBay £12.50.

'SUPAGARD 100 PLUS PROFESSIONAL PAINT SEALANT PROTECTION SPONGE'.

Why pay extremely high dealer prices for application. Takes about an hour to properly clean the car paint finish and about another hour to apply the sealant and buff. I have had great results all my cars.

I agree with @Lovemyev - funnily enough I was talking to someone who used to work in a dealership (not MG) and he told me the mark up on these protection schemes is horrific and the commission for selling them sits at around 50% 😲

I agree with @Lovemyev - funnily enough I was talking to someone who used to work in a dealership (not MG) and he told me the mark up on these protection schemes is horrific and the commission for selling them sits at around 50% 😲
I knew someone back in the late 90s who used to do the Supagard application at a dealers and he said half the time they didn't apply it at all. In fact he gave me a couple of kits for my own car that he hadn't applied to customers cars.

Picking up my new car next week. Being offered Gen 3? Had this before and wasn’t very pleased at the price or quality.
Anyone else have a better idea please.
I bought my first ZS EV EXCLUSIVE in December 2019. Also went for Gen3. Should have returned it as the bonnet and boot both had swirl marks. These took me months of hand polishing to resolve.PS. Car was in Black Pearl. Nightmare!
When I was getting my replacement car,last week, I was again offered Gen3. I declined especially as the cost was almost £400. Chose Red this time.
Being an ex motorcycle rider,in all weathers, had lots of experience with MER.
Applied in 2 different polishes, Polish then High Gloss finisher. Cost about £50 with enough left for years of future applications.
Whole job took 3 hours and the finish is like glass. Only been a few days since I applied it but from past experience would say that it should last about 6 months before reapplication.
We all have our own thoughts and ideas. Good luck.

I’ve used mer for years. Goes on easy and lasts. The darker colours can be really bad for showing swirls.

Should have returned it as the bonnet and boot both had swirl marks. These took me months of hand polishing to resolve.PS. Car was in Black Pearl. Nightmare!
I had exactly this, bad swirling nearly everywhere, despite me asking them to be careful with this before I picked up the car! Still planning to get it professionally sorted when finances allow.

The treatment that dealers offer doesn’t usually remove swirling. Most cars from the factory have paint swirling. It needs professional mopping to get it removed properly. In the past I’ve paid to have cars detailed and mopped and treated. I don’t bother now and just keep them washed and polish myself now and then. It‘s not as good but it’s ok. It depends on how fussy you are really.

The treatment that dealers offer doesn’t usually remove swirling. Most cars from the factory have paint swirling. It needs professional mopping to get it removed properly. In the past I’ve paid to have cars detailed and mopped and treated. I don’t bother now and just keep them washed and polish myself now and then. It‘s not as good but it’s ok. It depends on how fussy you are really.
Actually the vast majority of cars leave the factory with perfect paint. They then usually get very dirty during transit, waiting in all weathers on filthy docksides, compounds, ships and transporters. The dealers then wash them after arrival during pdi. This is where all the damage is done. The lowest paid person at most dealerships is the guy washing the cars and they aren't valeters!

Back to the topic... Dealer applied paint protection is just to increase margins significantly for the dealer and they are the last person you want touching your bodywork!

It's only marginally better than a good normal occasional polish anyway, but if you do want something to throw money at, at least get a professional valeter to apply it for you. That way you'll get proper paint preparation done too, usually for the same or less money than having the uncaring dealership apprentice apply it in 20 minutes along with some free scratching ;)

Supagard inside and out, including the aforementioned after-care kit. £299 all in. Seeing the demo they did on the interior protection sold it for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom