Parking brake (and autohold) query

sjs73

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all. I just returned from a week’s holiday and used our MG5 after it had been sitting on the drive for a week. When my wife tried to reverse it off the drive it didn’t want to move but then eventually did after a fairly loud clunking noise from the car. My suspicion is that the parking brake had seized. I took it for a drive and it all seems okay, but the noise was quite disconcerting! Has anyone else experienced this?

On a second vaguely related point, is the autohold light normally on? The reason I ask is that before the incident with the parking brake I could have sworn that the autohold light is normally illuminated red but it doesn’t seem to be now. When I press the autohold button it illuminates orange. I don’t remember seeing that before so wonder if something has gone wrong.

Many thanks.

Hi all. I just returned from a week’s holiday and used our MG5 after it had been sitting on the drive for a week. When my wife tried to reverse it off the drive it didn’t want to move but then eventually did after a fairly loud clunking noise from the car. My suspicion is that the parking brake had seized. I took it for a drive and it all seems okay, but the noise was quite disconcerting! Has anyone else experienced this?

On a second vaguely related point, is the autohold light normally on? The reason I ask is that before the incident with the parking brake I could have sworn that the autohold light is normally illuminated red but it doesn’t seem to be now. When I press the autohold button it illuminates orange. I don’t remember seeing that before so wonder if something has gone wrong.

Many thanks.
Sounds normal to me, I've had the same reluctance for my vehicle to move after a week parked up sometimes. I suspect that moisture has a part to play, certainly in freezing weather it can happen. In my ICE van I usually leave the handbrake off and put it in gear. Not sure what the process would be with an EV tbh.

I think on flat ground or it won't be there in the morning 😂 then was going to say turn off then remember the parking auto comes on maybe put in neutral then switch off I haven't done this as only thought about it not sure if will work can't remember if any thing in manual

maybe put in neutral then switch off
I don't think that works, unfortunately. I often switch off with the engine in neutral and the parking brake is still automatically applied.

Interestingly, I also experienced yesterday the "failure to move and the loud clunking noise" which the OP writes about. My car had been parked from Sunday evening until Thursday evening. Previously this had not happened, even after a longer time between uses of the car.

I don't think that works, unfortunately. I often switch off with the engine in neutral and the parking brake is still automatically applied.

Interestingly, I also experienced yesterday the "failure to move and the loud clunking noise" which the OP writes about. My car had been parked from Sunday evening until Thursday evening. Previously this had not happened, even after a longer time between uses of the car.
I reckon it's the wet weather we've got.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom