Parking brake doesn't always hold

Mike SOS

Established Member
Reaction score
I do have one small fault with the car. The parking brake does not always hold where I have to apply the foot brake. So any suggestion to fix the problem?

I have had a recent problem with the parking brake. On coming to a halt at traffic lights, the parking brake is applied with the foot break pressure, and the parking break light come on the dashboard. Now twice in two days, this has suddenly released for not obvious reason, and twice I have managed to use the foot brake to stop the car moving forwards. And thus twice avoided collision with the car in front.

I swear I have not touched anything with feet or hands. A bit worrying. I now hover my foot over the foot break just in case...

Me or the car???????????/

OK you may be right. But it has a P in it, assume its a parking brake, but maybe wrong..Either way, it seems to have released unexpectedly, and I am sure I have not caused it to do so, knowingly anyway.I shall keep a tab on it and report back...:)

I‘ve just tried it on mine and it doesn’t take much of a touch on the throttle for it to release!

My brakes frequently "stick on' if I park the car in the garage after i've washed it...they must 'rust on'....not just on the MG.
I suppose I ought to take it around the block and warm up the brakes a little...before I park it up.......

My brakes frequently "stick on' if I park the car in the garage after i've washed it...they must 'rust on'....not just on the MG.
I suppose I ought to take it around the block and warm up the brakes a little...before I park it up.......
All the cars I had have done that I don’t think it can be avoided

Ik heb onlangs een probleem gehad met de parkeerrem. Bij stilstand bij verkeerslichten wordt de parkeerrem aangetrokken met de voetremdruk en gaat het parkeerremlicht op het dashboard branden. Nu twee keer in twee dagen is dit plotseling losgelaten zonder voor de hand liggende reden, en twee keer ben ik erin geslaagd om de voetrem te gebruiken om de auto te stoppen die vooruit rijdt. En zo twee keer een aanrijding met de voorligger voorkomen.

Ik zweer dat ik niets met voeten of handen heb aangeraakt. Een beetje verontrustend. Ik zweef nu mijn voet over de voetbreuk voor het geval ...

Ik of de auto ??????????? /
TTheb
I have had a recent problem with the parking brake. On coming to a halt at traffic lights, the parking brake is applied with the foot break pressure, and the parking break light come on the dashboard. Now twice in two days, this has suddenly released for not obvious reason, and twice I have managed to use the foot brake to stop the car moving forwards. And thus twice avoided collision with the car in front.

I swear I have not touched anything with feet or hands. A bit worrying. I now hover my foot over the foot break just in case...

Me or the car???????????/
Have you tried to use the other button? (Automatic park break)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom