Parking with the Handbrake Off

Dragonfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Obviously as soon as you put the car in park, the handbrake applies, does anybody know if it's possible to park the car in park, but with the handbrake off. I normally do this, if parking up for more than a week or two, but I haven't yet found how to do it in the HS. Anybody any ideas?

Not sure on the HS.
But on the ZS EV there is no interlock in the gearbox when you put the car in park.
The car is held on the hand brake via both the rear wheels.
It’s not like a standard automatic gearbox with a locking mechanism.
So in effect, no back up !.

It’s a modern car and won’t stretch the a cable or weld the break shoes like a 1958 Austin so I would not worry about it

It’s a modern car and won’t stretch the a cable or weld the break shoes like a 1958 Austin so I would not worry about it
What do you class as "modern", my 2006 Discovery, knackers the EPB, if they are left on, and the Nissan Leaf 2017, the foot break rusts on (Ok my parents left it parked for 3 months over winter with the foot/handbrake hard on Grrrr)

Not sure on the HS.
But on the ZS EV there is no interlock in the gearbox when you put the car in park.
The car is held on the hand brake via both the rear wheels.
It’s not like a standard automatic gearbox with a locking mechanism.
So in effect, no back up !.
Ah, that's good to know, it would explain why, you can't park it, without the EPB.

I would have thought that by definition, of leaving a metal based break pad, clamped to a metal brake disk\drum, in a damp environment for long period of times, they are likely to rust together.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom