• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Passenger Seat modification - would it work?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, all. This is aimed at the techie forum members (of which I am NOT one!)

If the ZS EVs in Europe, with left hand drive, also have electrically adjustable seats (do they?), would it be possible to buy a European drivers seat, and fit it as a UK electrically adjustable passenger's seat?

Or have I been watching Edd in Wheeler Dealers too much?

Dave

If the ZS EVs in Europe, with left hand drive, also have electrically adjustable seats (do they?), would it be possible to buy a European drivers seat, and fit it as a UK electrically adjustable passenger's seat?

Dave
Hi Dave,

You don't really had to be a technie at all. If the LHD MG ZS EV's (Exclusive Models) have drivers electric adjustment (and I see no reason why they shouldn't) then buying a LHD drivers seat (presuming it was bought with ALL the motors fitted to the seat) and doing a swap wouldn't be a problem (I took my seats out to retrim them and only four bolts and some electrical connections to deal with).

The only thing I could see coming up is the power connection to the motors and as you already have power going to the passenger UK seat for the heated seats then I don't see any problem of splitting the power from that connecter if needed.

I think expense of buying the seat and transporting it from for example Holland (closest LHD country where they sell the MG ZS EV I think) would be prohibitive, but if the Long Haired General would like electric adjustment to her seat then so be it.

Regards

Frank

It may be a different wiring loom or just a plug in extension loom from the main one. I like the concept though.

Are the seats "handed"? or Would it be possible to swap all the Electrical bits from one side to the other? I'm thinking there must be some second hand electric drivers seats in the UK...easier and cheaper than shipping one from Europe?

@Frank - yeah, but the control handles will be on the wrong side surely and be hampered by the central console?
@buzzbuzz - great. A European driver's seat is possible. Then it's just a matter of how to fix it and wire it up. and of course the purchase cost and shipping.
Maybe someone in MG likes the sound of this and might smile sweetly on such an ambitious project and do a great deal???

Dave,

No, put yourself in a LHD car with the central consule and think where on the seat the adjustment controls are. You are thinking about where the controls are on your RHD Seat!!!

Regards

Frank

Dave

Great thinking!!

Please consider that 'any modification outside the original build of the car, may cause warranty complications' is what I got told when I talked about having a dash cam wired in. So I read into it and its true if a fault occurs that the dealer believes is to do with the modification in anyway, all charges for repair would have been down to me.

I got my original post a bit mixed up!

What I meant to say was, it might be easier to pick up and second hand Electric Drivers seat in the UK.
If so, would it be possible to remove all the electrical gubbins and combine that with the original passenger seat?
However this still leaves the warranty issue and getting power to the passenger seat....to make it all work.

Please consider that 'any modification outside the original build of the car, may cause warranty complications' is what I got told when I talked about having a dash cam wired in. So I read into it and its true if a fault occurs that the dealer believes is to do with the modification in anyway, all charges for repair would have been down to me.

Whilst true, this is unlikely to cause you any problems in general with the warranty. If something you've changed can be shown to have caused a fault, that fault won't be covered, which is fair enough. But it works both ways, if they try it on with anything in my case, unless it's obvious, they'll have to prove the correlation or hear from my solicitor. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom