Paying upfront for home EV charger

FrenchGuillaume

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Went through my electric provider Octopus, after I send all pictures and answers, had a email with a quote from a company who I assume work for octopus, but. In the email, there a link for the payement to be done before to do the work.
But last night, I had a think is it a scam or is it just good practice?
Does somebody already done it by octopus?
Thanks in advance

Assumption is your enemy when paying someone new. I would look up the number of the company independently from any communication they have sent you and treat it like you are a brand new potential customer. There is also a new telephone service run by the banks if you are unsure about a payee.

I gave up on the process with Octopus, the number of questions they asked and the amount of information they wanted was ludicrous. I then found out that my network operator wanted £219 to upgrade my supply on top of the price of the charger. That was the straw that broke the camels back. It just isn't in my opinion financially viable.

I use mainly free 7kWh chargers for my charging and the granny cable occasionally. Also got a 50kWh charger 1/2 a mile away if I ever need a quick charge.

Far better to consult a local electrician who will do a physical survey before quoting. No surprises and you can make sure the job is done exactly the way you want it.
I paid a 20% deposit for my installation and I thought that was reasonable.

I would never pay up front for anything. If the company doesn't hold enough capital to do a job first then get paid, in my books they are not a very well established company and should not be used.

Haven't paid a penny up front for my installation in a couple of weeks. I certainly wouldn't pay a stranger any more than I could afford to lose. Scammers seem more and more common and they are getting cleverer. Just hope I never get caught out.

I bought the Octopus 7kw charger. I had to pay a deposit of £150. Only minor gripe was that it took several months to install. I had to chase up EO to remind them. Installation went well..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom