Pedestrian alert warning not working

John Arnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I have taken the ZS EV in twice as no warning sound is heard. Tried to get their demonstrator to work without any success. Has anyone else had this problem. The dealer is at a total loss and is asking MG for guidance. Not sure if this is a common problem? Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not had any experience of mine working either despite it showing as selected as being on settings and tbh don't know whether it's an alert to warn pedestrians you are there or to warn the driver of pedestrians in which case it would surely 'bong' if you pull up to a wall so I assume the former. Having had my car for around 10 days now I am finding quite a few issues which dealers are either unaware of or don't inform the new purchaser about.

What does the manual say that the pedestrian alert is?
You would assume it's the constant humming noise generated by the car at low speeds (< 40mph) in order to alert pedestrians of your presence. It's EU law that all EVs make this noise.
I mention the VESS (virtual engine sound system as it's called on the Ioniq) here:

Not had any experience of mine working either despite it showing as selected as being on settings and tbh don't know whether it's an alert to warn pedestrians you are there or to warn the driver of pedestrians in which case it would surely 'bong' if you pull up to a wall so I assume the former. Having had my car for around 10 days now I am finding quite a few issues which dealers are either unaware of or don't inform the new purchaser about.
The manual says it should always be active unless you cancel it. It should sound a speaker to alert pedestrians and cyclists. Operates from 0-20 & 20-0. My dealer had no idea that the car had it or many other features. I feel MG need to educate their staff?

I have taken the ZS EV in twice as no warning sound is heard. Tried to get their demonstrator to work without any success. Has anyone else had this problem. The dealer is at a total loss and is asking MG for guidance. Not sure if this is a common problem? Any advice?
Had the pedestrian alert explained. It is very quiet more a kind of motor hum. All good now. Very happy with the car.

I had a poke around under the bonnet and you can see the two horn sounders at the front . However, if you look left, inside the front offside wing behind the headlight you will see a black plastic object about 100 mm square. Looks like a large computer fan. I think this is the sound speaker. I have to say that the MG does make a lot of noise when compared with my Prius PHV when running in EV mode so may be it does work.

Is there an contact email address for MG to raise issues or to simply ask questions like will we get the app in the UK as if enough pressure is applied they may reconsider their decision not to install it?

So you can't hear the noise while in the car? That's awesome. Because I hate the noise my Ioniq makes and switch it off quite often.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom