PHEV EV Motor high pitched whistle noise

jpwuk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi All, just purchased 21' PHEV with 17k miles. Does anyone experience a high pitched whistling noise specifically from the EV motor / drive train? Appears to occur / noticeable when the EV motor is above 3000 rpm, the pedestrian noise warning has cut out at this point. It's noticeable but bearable when windows are shut, but window open it's surprisingly loud when even slightly open. Stray dogs are chasing me😀.The noise disappears as soon as you take your foot off accelerator, and kicks in again when reapplied. Noise is similar to a faulty turbo whistle noise, albeit the engine isn't running. I read a few posts on this forum a few years backs describing exactly the same noise but no mention of this being rectified by their MG dealer, be great to hear from anyone experiencing the same or had this fixed by MG Services team. Thanks

I think it sounds great in EV mode a couple of friends say it sounds like a spaceship when running purely on electricity. Must admit to not really hearing it at all above 30ish just a slight whine.

I think it sounds great in EV mode a couple of friends say it sounds like a spaceship when running purely on electricity. Must admit to not really hearing it at all above 30ish just a slight whine.
Thanks for responding. I guess the spaceship sound is the pedestrian warning at lower speed😅? The high pitched whistling EV motor noise is noticeable from around 20mph upwards especially with a windows open. I've got the car booked in with MG garage to let them have a test drive. Just hoping if anyone experienced similar issues what the remedy was, so I can give the garage some pointers. Cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom