Picking up new X-Power - foolproof way to get I-smart working?

it guy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi Everyone

I pick up my X Power on Friday this week and I've read so many posts where people are struggling with I-smart, but then there are posts where people say it's no problem.

I have an iPhone - is there a foolproof way to get it working without hassle? I haven't had an MG before, I have installed I-smart on my phone in readiness, and I have created a login using my email (app version 2.0.2). Haven't bound anything (ever) or done anything with the app at all.

Any tips?

Hi Everyone

I pick up my X Power on Friday this week and I've read so many posts where people are struggling with I-smart, but then there are posts where people say it's no problem.

I have an iPhone - is there a foolproof way to get it working without hassle? I haven't had an MG before, I have installed I-smart on my phone in readiness, and I have created a login using my email (app version 2.0.2). Haven't bound anything (ever) or done anything with the app at all.

Any tips?
You have done the preparation that I did. I bound it at the dealership after reviewing a YouTube video. Easy. The MG sales guy didn't have a clue!

I also had no problem, down loaded app , sat in car and completed the bind with iPhone XR, enjoy the x power that is my regret not going that way,

Thanks everyone - I'm sure it will be fine tomorrow, I suppose I was just a bit concerned by all the reports of people having problems. Fingers crossed everything else is as it should be!!

That's a good start. When I picked up my MG4, the salesman took me through binding the car to the app as part of the handover. They had emailed me prior to pick up to download the app, and create a login as you have done.
Mine did the same - and they offered to spend as much time as I needed showing me how things in the car and app worked. And at 5.30pm on a Friday too.

I think the only real issues are when trying to rebind it if you forget what you registered with (email or phone). Just make sure you remember what one you used in case they update the app again and you will be fine. It's when people login with the other username to original registration that it causes issues saying car already bound.

Congrats on your new purchase 😍 ... hope all goes well on pickup 👍

Yep, as above dowload the app first, register and login to the app.

Keep your login details safe somewhere as you will need them again in the future (e.g. next big app update) and on binding. It is very important to use exactly the same login details and not try any others.

I've read before using an email to login, rather than phone number, may be best.

Get the dealer to bind the phone to the car on pickup ... that's their job at handover IMHO and they will want a good review leaving somewhere I'm sure !!

Once bound check the ISmart app works OK with the dealer present. Best do a scan to set it all off working I find.

I'm pretty sure the dealer went through the QR code method as per this video with mine, and it was up and running straightaway :-

Last edited:
If I want to know pretty much anything about the car I just follow the

Jerry Pan and CARS

Tutorials on YouTube, had no issue setting the app or anything up. Only problem is sometimes the servers are not online.

Just to close the loop on the thread I started - picked up car yesterday and app linkup worked perfectly. Already had app installed on my phone and had already used my email address to create an MG account. In the car went into user menu and logged into the car with same email/password and then it gave a QR code to scan with the app. Scanned it, it did some stuff then it just worked. Very easy !

As a project manager I knew was fond of saying ... "Don't work smarter, work harder!" 😁

(Another one was "Seek forgiveness not permission") :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom