Pimped my ride

symcbean

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Got some wind deflectors a month ago, thought I'd share the experience....

Really I was looking for "rain" deflectors rather with wind deflectors. Living in the west of Scotland, we get a lot of rain and only having had my ZS for 5 months I'd still getting over the whole range anxiety thing / not wanting to switch on the heater to clear the fog from the windscreen.

Looking at Amazon, although there's lots of people selling different brands of ZS wind deflector, it actually appears that there are only 2 products available. One features a chrome strip around the door line. The other (also available in a full chrome finish) is black - indeed, it appears to be opaque. Both types attach to the outer surface of the door rather than fitting into the window apperture. The different brands vary HUGELY in price for what seems to be the same product (£40-£200). Although I think that the chrome inserts don't look as nice, since these were obviously smoked rather than opaque, this is what I went for.

Amazon product ASIN B09CQ1NWQD
Going for the cheap ones of course meant that I had to wait for them to ship from China - which took 3 weeks. They were a pig to fit. The plastic mouldings have double-sided tape on them for attachment to the car - and the tape did a better job of sticking to the backing than to the mouldings. I eventually removed the supplied tape and attached them to the car using 3m tape sourced from Europart (£12).

The plastic parts come with little metal hangers attached - I don't know if these are structural or just intended to help with alignment, but they weren't very well attached and fouled on the door seals. I took those off too.

2 months on and I'm still glad I took the plunge - they keep the rain out and most of the drafts. With the 3m tape they show no signs of coming away from the doors.

Update on this - At the weekend, the front and rear deflectors (former attached with 3m tape, latter with original sticky stuff) on the sunny side of the car both came off as I was driving across the the country.

I'll be taking the other two off this weekend and not replacing them :(

Update on this - At the weekend, the front and rear deflectors (former attached with 3m tape, latter with original sticky stuff) on the sunny side of the car both came off as I was driving across the the country.

I'll be taking the other two off this weekend and not replacing them :(
How fast were you driving at the time? :LOL:

Alternative in case you change your mind - looks like other owners have tried them too:

Can I ask?

When I opened the drivers door the other day, it had stopped raining, but water dripped in on the bottom door sill. Do the WD stop this. I was disappointed that the carpet got wet. I can see this as a long term problem wet stinky carpets 🫢

Can I ask?

When I opened the drivers door the other day, it had stopped raining, but water dripped in on the bottom door sill. Do the WD stop this. I was disappointed that the carpet got wet. I can see this as a long term problem wet stinky carpets 🫢
I think I understand your question ??.
As you open the door, water drips off the hole left by opening the door and then into the car ?.
If so, this is a common problem with the majority of modern cars today.
Almost all modern cars don’t have a water gutter system, around the roof as such like with the older cars.
Rain / standing water drops 💦 are just waiting for you to open the door and just as you place your bum on the seat, the water drops of the roof and catches you or the door card / arm rest as you try to close the door !.
Open your door and stand close to the opening, now look how smooth the body shape is, where the roof becomes part of the doors actual frame.
See, no gutter system to direct the water away from the door openings !.
It is common to see water 💦 run out of the bottom of the doors as they are opened also.
Rain water 💦 hits the outside surface of the glass in the door, and is then channelled down, right through the inside of the door and leaves the door structure, via the drain holes produced in the underside of the door frame.
Without these drain holes, the door would completely fill up with water over a long period of time.
On one of the Tesla models ( model 3 I think ) when you lift up boot, water 💦 runs off the edge and deposits its water into the boot floor.
I hope I have tried to answer your question correctly ?.

Yes you got the gist of it. I was getting out of the car and got a leg full and as you say onto the armrest and door card. So those of you who have fitted rain deflectors does it cure the wet leg syndrome. I walked into a meeting looking like I had wet myself 🫣. I told them what had happened and they said “it’s ok we know it’s an old man thing” 😂😂😂😂

Reading my question I now realise what a plonker I am the WD are fixed to the door so will not do what I asked 🤪🤪

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom