Plasticky creaking/clicking sound at low speed from A-pillar area and across the top of the dashboard

shikoku14

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Hi all,

I've been trying to play whack-a-mole with some creaking/clicking sounds I've been getting from the car (the joy of things not being masked by a rumbling engine) that seem to come from both A-pillars and across the front of the dash, my guess on the later being where it meets to glass for the windscreen. With the A-pillars, I have taken out the tweeter inserts which are plastic and have removed the tweeter (also plastic) from the plastic grill insert and added a little bit of felt to the front of the tweeter and around the edge so it sits snugly in the grill and has no play. Next around the bevelled edge of the grill where it goes back into the A, I have also added a very thin piece of the felt (which is 3m backed) around the edge to form a more cushioned gasket when it is clipped back in place. Still I'm getting the clicking/creaking sound from this area. I also note there seems to be a fair bit of play in the A-pillar in that you can pull down and it has quite a bit of movement at the back and front where it meets the windscreen.

So my question, anyone else have this (I have engaged with a thread on this on SpeakEV as well - Wind noise with sun roof), am I being hyper-sensitive to the sound/should I just write it off as, well its not the VW build quality you came from, or do you think I should take it back to the dealer to get them to look at it?

Again Mark is correct. However, if going back to the Dealership is hassle don’t neglect to check the plastic trim around the outside of the windscreen. I had a similar noise, it turned out to be the trim around the wiper arms where it met the windscreen at the A pillar. A clean and smear of grease sorted it.

Just to follow this up, I've just got back from the dealer where the car has been this morning, I drove back over some very undulating 20-40mph b-roads between Lancashire and West Yorkshire and not a creak was heard.

They confirmed both issues that I had with the clicking sounds from the A pillars. The fix they have applied is silent tape to pillars to absorb the vibrations. For the creaking on the widescreen (as @Mgkev mentions above) they have lubricated the seals on the scuttle panel and applied some more silent tape again to absorb any vibrations in this area.

Hats off again to Chorley Burnley for being responsive (and letting me squat in their waiting area all morning so I could work while I waited).

My car has the same clicking/creaking noise across the dash , when my car was in for repair the demo car that I borrowed also had the same noise but worse than mine. It's good to know there's a fix for it 🙂 , I will have a look myself at some point.

My A-pillars rattle and the sunroof knocks. The car's only 3 weeks old and is going back to the dealer for a fix at the end of month.

I'm been getting a creaking rattly sound when cars moving.. sounds like it's where the dash meets the windscreen... What might need lubricating?
Some pics might help if possible.

Again Mark is correct. However, if going back to the Dealership is hassle don’t neglect to check the plastic trim around the outside of the windscreen. I had a similar noise, it turned out to be the trim around the wiper arms where it met the windscreen at the A pillar. A clean and smear of grease sorted it.
I might try this tomorrow.

I noticed it only happens when it's not been raining/wet for a while so I guess removal or the scuttle panel and some lube would help deal with the issue. I.m only saying scuttle panel as others have mentioned it.

I have the creaking noise at the front of the windscreen also.
The noise can be heard at different areas of the dash panel.
When the inside of the cabin is warm, it is less noticeable.
Travelling over rough tarmac with a broken surface, when it is cold is when it can be heard.
It's not really loud, but more annoying than anything else.
The hard rubber / plastic strip that bridges the gap between the wiper arm scuttle panel and the front windscreen glass, appears to be the issue is my understanding.
Silent tape maybe your friend here !.

I suggest anyone suffering should go to their dealer for investigations. My rattles are being sorted, just waiting for the parts to arrive.

I had this very same issue since having the car for more than 2 years. So I posted the issue on FB and had some amazing response and the issue can be fixed with a good spray of WD-40 along the scuttle plate on the outside of the windscreen.

Attachments

• IMG_4545.PNG
    IMG_4545.PNG
    600.9 KB · Views: 354
I had this very same issue since having the car for more than 2 years. So I posted the issue on FB and had some amazing response and the issue can be fixed with a good spray of WD-40 along the scuttle plate on the outside of the windscreen.
That’s the place !.
Also, right in the corners of both front wings, where the scuttle seal disappears under a rubber gasket on both sides.
Where the curve of front windscreen glass meets the rubber gasket in both corners.
Original WD40 will prove if this is your problem okay, but it will dry out and the ticking / clicking will return after a while.
WD40 do make a silicone spray and a PTFE spray, plus a “High Performance White Lithium Grease”.
Strangely, I used some of the “Lithium” spray on mine yesterday, to try out as a quick fix.
On the weekly drive to the supermarket this morning, the clicking / ticking has gone.
Interesting to know how long this fix will work ?.
I am convicted that the long term fix is to remove the scuttle and apply some silent tape to the hard rubber seal.
This felt type tape, will provide a interface between the glass and the hard foul condition between rubber seal.
That is what the “Lithium” spray is doing right now.
At least it proves 100% that the problem is caused by friction between the seal and the glass.
A lot of people are under the impression that the problem is caused by the top of the dash panel fouling on the glass on the INSIDE of the car.
I was able to insert an old plastic loyalty card behind the seal and then spray the “Lithium Spray” behind in the gap created by the card.
I started in the centre ( the card was easy to fit behind the seal at this point ) then inserted the nozzle of the can into the gap created by the card, and applied the spray.
Slowly moving the card bit by bit until I reached each corner of the glass.
I also applied a liberal amount of spray around the gasket at each corner of the screen.
Where it meets with the top of the both front wing panels.
Just be careful to remove any excess spray from the windscreen or it may get onto your wiper blades and cause a greasy film on your glass.
I think the WD40 Lithium spray was about £6 from Screwfix.
It could also be used to spray inside of the external door handles to stop them sticking.
One can, two fixes !.

Last edited:
I just gave the area a good spray of this that I found in my garage, didn't even think about creating a gap to spay into, I was thinking that it would just trickle down somehow. Will keep a note how long it lasts and try the loyalty card next spray time.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 334
I just gave the area a good spray of this that I found in my garage, didn't even think about creating a gap to spay into, I was thinking that it would just trickle down somehow. Will keep a note how long it lasts and try the loyalty card next spray time.
Hi @Alun26 .
We collected our ZS EV on a cold 6th Jan in 2020.
I first noticed this "Ticking / Clicking" noise fairly early in it's life really.
Certainly not enough to require dealer input ( I hate letting my car go into these places ).
But, in the spring / summer 2020 the ticking was much less noticeable, but as the ambient temp started to drop again, the ticking soon returned to raise it's ugly head once more.
It has never got any worse really, but once your ear's have tuned into the sound, you just can't block it out somehow.
It spoils the silence !.
One of the big attractions of owning an EV for me, was the relaxing ride in almost complete silence.
We only travel with the radio on a low volume setting and only playing relaxing music.
I really do enjoy peaceful EV driving, it helps to destress you.
The problem here is of course, is the "Clicking and Ticking" noise spoils the ambiance.
Yeah - I have the standard "Run Of The Mill" WD40.
But, I did also purchase a can of the anti friction Dry PTFE spray also.
I did a test of the “Dry PTFE spray on the bench first, then the “White Lithium Grease spray.
When you apply the Lithium spray, it has a very thin "White Milky" consistency to it.
Hard to put into words, but it just feels like it has more of a lubricating property to it somehow ???.
I did purchased some silent tape a few months ago, with the intension of installing it myself.
Just waiting for the weather to improve in order to carry out what I think is the best long term fix.
I have checked out the job in hand and the plastic fasteners in the wiper scuttle are easy enough to remove okay, but to completely remove the wiper scuttle from the car, you first need to remove the wiper arms completely.
They are held in place by a single 13 or 14mm nut if I remember correctly, easy enough to remove with a socket, extension bar and a ratchet.
But the wiper arms sit on a tapered spline and the arms are difficult to remove safely unless you have a wiper arm puller.
It IS possible to remove all the fasteners first, then slide the rubber seal off the plastic scuttle panel with the wiper arms STILL on the car, then clean the rubber seal and apply the silent tape and refit to the scuttle panel.
But I do somehow feel that completely removing the black wiper scuttle assembly, is the best way forward in my opinion.
I was just lubricating the mechanism of the external door handles of the car with the “White Lithium” spray ( a known problem with them sticking in cold weather ) before I washed the car the other day.
I also did the hinges on the charging door at the front because they where squeaking when you opened the flap.
So, because it was at hand, I decided to give it a try on the rubber seal.
A bit of a "Proof Of Concept" type thing really.
It's just an experiment really, buy's me a bit of time until the weather improves of course.
I think as that rubber ages, it is likely to become harder and harder, so therefore the "Ticking / Clicking" will become an everyday thing.
It's no big deal really, but it needs sorting long term.
If you have the radio on fairly loud or the window / sun roof slightly open, then you are never going to notice it.
But once you do, it's stuck inside of your head for good.
I have no doubt this problem is the same on the ICE models, but is never that noticeable due to the racket from the engine noise.
One of the problems high lighted when companies start producing EV's I guess.
They are so silent, then the build quality issues like rattles and creaks suddenly become a big issue to their customers, all of a sudden !.
You can totally rely on an EV to display any shortfalls in internal build quality alright.

Last edited:
My A-pillars rattle and the sunroof knocks. The car's only 3 weeks old and is going back to the dealer for a fix at the end of month.
My sunroof (i think it’s that) has started today to knock - it’s best described as a knock rather than a rattle - like two panels knocking together. I’m going to have a proper look today if I can. Ironic as I was just looking at a thread about rattles and creaks! Did you get your roof sorted - what did they do?

They dismissed my claims it was the sunroof knocking and told me it was the A-pillars (which I had also complained about rattling)
They told me that they'd already fully replaced a couple of sunroof cassettes on ZS's but couldn't find anything wrong with mine.

To be fair mine has only knocked one two occasions and as you said, it sounds like two panels knocking together.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom