Playing MP4 Videos from USB drive

Just tried it out of curiosity and it works for MP4 video although some formats were unsupported. And MP3 audio
Using 1TB Samsung HDD on a USB3 lead but running at USB2 speeds as that's what the MG port is. I'm guessing a flash drive would use less power than a spinning HDD.
IMG_20210216_013033.jpg

Last edited:
I think HDD works fine,
Some formats of MP4 are not supported irrespective of the type of drive

Shame it doesn't play MKV HEVC as that's what most of my collection is

Last edited:
I think HDD works fine,
Some formats of MP4 are not supported irrespective of the type of drive

Shame it doesn't play MKV HEVC as that's what most of my collection is
Ok thanks, getting techy now, Did the hard drive have other files on it and more than one partition. Also what software are you using to rip your copyright pretected DVDs.
Just to note, a breach of copyright law in UK is where you copy a Copyright Protected DVD and give it to somebody else for their keeps.

Most of my collection I've converted to HEVC due to running out of space on the NAS. Left a few unconverted to play on the MG, mainly episodes of Brooklyn Nine Nine as they are perfect length for rapid charging.
That if lock down ends and the world become a normal place......

Also what software are you using to rip your copyright pretected DVDs.
Just to note, a breach of copyright law in UK is where you copy a Copyright Protected DVD and give it to somebody else for their keeps.
Format shifting is permitted under UK law for personal use but breaking any technological protection measures is questionable at best, illegal at worse case.

Most of my collection I've converted to HEVC due to running out of space on the NAS. Left a few unconverted to play on the MG, mainly episodes of Brooklyn Nine Nine as they are perfect length for rapid charging.
That if lock down ends and the world become a normal place......

Format shifting is permitted under UK law for personal use but breaking any technological protection measures is questionable at best, illegal at worse case.

Unplayable on MG, HVEC or x265 doesn't work.

For a samsung 4k, very watchable, same quality as x264 but 20-30% space saving. Could do 50% but it starts to hurt quality. But the playback device has to have a good decoder/cpu to decode it correctly.

I just noticed today that there is selector on the settings screen when playing movies for USB1 or USB2, I mistakenly thought we could only play movies in the USB marked media. :unsure:
So I don't have to unplug the phone to play a movie. (y)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom