DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi y'all.
Tried searching on 'plug & charge' or 'plug and charge' but search doesn't like '&' or 'and' as too short or common 🤔
Anyway got far too many returns with plug / charge in as you can imagine.
Just came across plug & charge on Octopus app and it looks promising for the future of ev charging ( think tesla already use it ?).
So, are MGs compatible? Anyone using it yet if so?
Cheers.

Tried searching on 'plug & charge' or 'plug and charge' but search doesn't like '&' or 'and' as too short or common 🤔
Yeah, sometimes you just have to use Google, e.g.

The first hit seems useful, and even references two other posts:

Plug and Charge requires certification, a few car makes offer this, MG is not one of those. Autocharge on the other hand that Fastned uses requires only the vehicle ID and practically all EVs can do this.

Plug and charge

Autocharge difference

Thanks guys, that's me brought up to speed. Been in a 2018 Kia Soul EV for the last 4 years, so haven't kept up with developments. Just like CCS and CHAdeMO, looks like being a VHS vs Betamax thing again. Wonder which'll win out this time ? Cheap n cheerful or Costly and quality? Well, going by previous examples, looks like Autocharge will nail it... 🤔

Just off to try my first Fastned autocharge ( only one in Cornwall and 300kW!! ) 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Fastned ✅ - that was fun once I found it.. fastest I've charged yet and registered for their Autocharge (possibly) .
Tested an Electroverse charge (Osprey / Bodmin) - all good ✅.
Octopus intelligent Go.❎. 4 different sessions over the weekend trying to set it up again. Failed. Really fed up that every time I update the Wallbox, it restarts and takes several minutes to settle down. If it manages to get to OCPP CONNECTED and an Octopus test is initiated, connectivity fails to be established BUT Octopus state it can take up to 30 minutes to be detected. So every time you change even one thing to get it to work, you then have to wait up to 30 minutes to find out if it hasn't worked!!! Makes for a very very slow process if it isn't happening. 😕

Fastned ✅ - that was fun once I found it.. fastest I've charged yet and registered for their Autocharge (possibly) .
Tested an Electroverse charge (Osprey / Bodmin) - all good ✅.
Octopus intelligent Go.❎. 4 different sessions over the weekend trying to set it up again. Failed. Really fed up that every time I update the Wallbox, it restarts and takes several minutes to settle down. If it manages to get to OCPP CONNECTED and an Octopus test is initiated, connectivity fails to be established BUT Octopus state it can take up to 30 minutes to be detected. So every time you change even one thing to get it to work, you then have to wait up to 30 minutes to find out if it hasn't worked!!! Makes for a very very slow process if it isn't happening. 😕
Myenergi state the if you want to use their Zappi with IOG then OCPP must be disabled. You will need to check with Wallbox but I wouldn't be surprised if this is an Octopus requirement.

Myenergi state the if you want to use their Zappi with IOG then OCPP must be disabled. You will need to check with Wallbox but I wouldn't be surprised if this is an Octopus requirement.
I have been using kia soul / wallbox plus for 4 years with no problem. 18 months ago I upgraded to wallbox max to help with their field testing. About 6 months ago I moved from Octopus Go to Intelligent. All went well with OCPP running the show until I swapped to the MG4. I asked Octopus what I needed to do to swap cars. They said I needed to delete the existing device and add the new one.... Which is what I've been trying to do over the weekend. As they've been closed over the weekend I shall be contacting them tomorrow.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom