Podpoint only working when WIFI off

Is there an alternative to turning the WIFI off , with having a wifi repeater?
Having re-read your earlier post, you say that turning the router off allows you to charge.
Might I ask then, does your router plug directly into the mains? or does it have a 12v power supply like the majority of routers?

Is there an alternative to turning the WIFI off , with having a wifi repeater?
WiFi repeaters should cause no issues at all. In fact they may help

I think you're confusing them with powerline adapters which use your home electrics to transfer data and come as a minimum of a pair. It is these that apparently can interfere with the charger.

They're quite rare, but there are routers with built in Homeplug . I know Zyxel and Solwise both did one. What is your home router make/model? If it has inbuilt Homeplug, you may have to replace it!

I had wifi connection issues despite getting a strong signal at the charger. Re set up my house wifi moved one of the MESH wifi nodes closer and then reset the POD Point wifi setup from scratch. Works better but still not perfect.

i have a 12v power supply
Then your router is not using Powerline, as they cannot operate over 12v DC.

Your extender however, might be Powerline, and might not actually be serving any purpose at all other than providing a 'hotspot' signal.

I assume you have tried turning off just the extender, and left the router on?
Edit, I see that you have already confirmed that you have!

Last edited:

Your extender however, might be Powerline, and might not actually be serving any purpose at all other than providing a 'hotspot' signal.

The router may not be using it but on mine I took ethernet connection out of the router into a powerline socket plugged in.

The router may not be using it but on mine I took ethernet connection out of the router into a powerline socket plugged in.

Yes, but the OP says that he only has two devices - the router, and one extender.

Sounds like is Podpoint is attaching to his router, and not his extender, and because it is such a weak signal, is having a problem.

Thus, when he turns off the router, Podpoint goes into 'dumb' mode, and charges his car.

Edit, I see that you have already confirmed that you have!
Yes i have tried and no luck!!!

Are you able to post a picture of any routers or wifi extenders that you have so we can see the models etc?
5EC783CF-257B-4A96-A646-593F59E2C002.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F6947FF-E4EB-4BC1-8ABA-264EAD62C56F.jpeg
    3F6947FF-E4EB-4BC1-8ABA-264EAD62C56F.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 124
I had wifi connection issues despite getting a strong signal at the charger. Re set up my house wifi moved one of the MESH wifi nodes closer and then reset the POD Point wifi setup from scratch. Works better but still not perfect.
When u say it works better but still not perfect, will it drop your charge and u come back to your car not being fully charged?

Sorry for the late reply, been away from home. So it is a sky router. I have taken a picture of the front and back. I dont know if u want a pic of the wifi booster?
Yes please, would be good to see the booster

At this point I'd guess the WiFi pairing has gone wrong, I don't have a pod so I can't advise how to reset the WiFi connection but I'd Hope their support could.

It's a bit of a stab in the dark, but you might want to turn of 5g on both the router and the extender and see if the pod behaviour changes with just 2.4ghz WiFi as some devices don't like the newer 5g WiFi.

Are there any other devices on your network, anything with a static ip or similar that could be conflicting?

I still reckon the installer didn't pair your pod to your WiFi properly in the first instance

Yes please, would be good to see the booster

At this point I'd guess the WiFi pairing has gone wrong, I don't have a pod so I can't advise how to reset the WiFi connection but I'd Hope their support could.

It's a bit of a stab in the dark, but you might want to turn of 5g on both the router and the extender and see if the pod behaviour changes with just 2.4ghz WiFi as some devices don't like the newer 5g WiFi.

Are there any other devices on your network, anything with a static ip or similar that could be conflicting?

I still reckon the installer didn't pair your pod to your WiFi properly in the first instance
These are the booster pics.
Silly question but how can i take off the 5g? There is nothing to switch it?

Attachments

• FF621C99-79DD-4FA1-8DD4-8AB1EDB77988.jpeg
    FF621C99-79DD-4FA1-8DD4-8AB1EDB77988.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 38A22BF3-7DD7-4D0C-944F-50A27569823F.jpeg
    38A22BF3-7DD7-4D0C-944F-50A27569823F.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 107
These are the booster pics.
Silly question but how can i take off the 5g? There is nothing to switch it?
You'd need to do that by logging into your hub settings. Before you bother with that though try this:

Plus your booster in somewhere that is half way between the router and the PodPoint.

Turn the PodPoint off (at breaker) and back on again. This will cause it to reconnect.

If that doesn't help you will need to follow the instructions I posted above to reset the WiFi on the PodPoint.

Thanks for this thread. My pod-point was installed on Tuesday. Plugged it in at 20% and went to bed, got up in the morning expecting a full and balanced car but found only 21%!

Since then, I have tried plugging it in several times and it has charged for 5 to 15 minutes then just goes into the 'standby' mode with the green flashing light suggesting either the car is waiting to charge or has completed its charge. Very frustrating when sitting at less than 30%.

I do have an Ethernet over power line setup in my house (to connect two Wi-Fi routers at opposite ends of the house). I may need to reconsider my networking arrangements.

It is certainly worth a try when I get home.

Sorry to hear that. Powerline Wifi extenders are prone to that sort of interference unfortunately. You should be able to charge manually though if you log in to the PodPoint and disable the Wi-Fi connection (or try to connect direct to the router if it can see it rather than the extender?). Can you temporally move your router? Or try setting up a wifi hotspot with another device to check its working properly with the app charge programming? No really easy fixes I can think of but there many better placed than me to comment.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom