Police ram runaway electric iPace after brakes fail on M62 (debunked)

Not much detail here just brakes fail. Does that mean nothing happened when the brake pedal was pushed, what about regen did that not slow the car down when the driver took their foot off the accelerator and also why could neutral not be selected by the driver or the traction battery power be turned off?

Just been discussing this on another Forum. (Not an EV forum) Somebody posted it purely to add to the Bl00dy EV hysteria. 🙄 Had to point out this is by no means exclusive to EVs, happened quite a few times with ICE vehicle's, but then that's not "NEWS" is it. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
this was the same car/driver that had a similar problem in December last year with a similar fault and could not select neutral.
Requires a bit of digging but it seems isolated to one particular unit.
If JLR didn’t investigate properly the first time it’s an issue.
If they did investigate properly it would be good to know what did they find happened.

The cynic in me wonders if he just booted it to 100mph, realised he got caught by a camera and decided to claim it was the car. Again.
I know, that would be like saying I don’t trust humans.

If it had happened to me the first time I would be posting on the web about it not my mother's twitter account.

ICE cars with brake by wire.
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Chevrolet Corvette C8
Mercedes Benz SL
Interesting, I haven't deleved into the details, it would seem to be on performance cars to provide track vs. road settings, and compensate for long pedal when things get really hot. The C8 does not seem to be a full BBW, but just modulates the traditional vacuum servo assist to alter the feel.

Why would an ICE car need brake-by-wire?
Virtually all cars, all MGs included, have the traditional mechanical brakes and duplicated hydraulic system, operated by the brake pedal as well as by the emergency braking computer (if enabled). At worst, if the vacuum pump fails (the vacuum hose in an ICE could fail too, or the engine could stall), you may have to apply stronger pressure to the brake pedal than usual ("stand on the brakes"), but it still stops safely.

So EVs are absolutely no less safe with braking, and most have yet another way to slow the car, regen via the motor. I suppose you could use the clutch on a manual ICE with a stalled engine and failed brakes to slow the car in a somewhat controlled manner. And of course all cars have a relatively weak (compared to the foot brakes) parking brake, whether hand operated or electrical.

The scary thing to me is the steer by wire that Tesla are introducing starting with the Cyber Truck. That has no traditional steering wheel shaft, only electrical connections to the computers and motors that drive the steering rack. How they got that past regulations, and get it to be safe even when the truck is 20 years old and the batteries are clapped out, I have no idea.

Why report “…to plead for help” when “…to request assistance” was probably more accurate 🙄
Besides, what are the chances that police are close enough to be able to slow down a vehicle with no brakes on a freeway before it slows to a halt from friction or crashes into something?

The author of these EV horror stories needs to be more creative yet believable to continue their agenda.

Somebody posted it purely to add to the Bl00dy EV hysteria. 🙄
Thanks. I've added "(debunked)" to the thread title.

Virtually all cars, all MGs included, have the traditional mechanical brakes and duplicated hydraulic system, operated by the brake pedal as well as by the emergency braking computer (if enabled). At worst, if the vacuum pump fails (the vacuum hose in an ICE could fail too, or the engine could stall), you may have to apply stronger pressure to the brake pedal than usual ("stand on the brakes"), but it still stops safely.

So EVs are absolutely no less safe with braking, and most have yet another way to slow the car, regen via the motor. I suppose you could use the clutch on a manual ICE with a stalled engine and failed brakes to slow the car in a somewhat controlled manner. And of course all cars have a relatively weak (compared to the foot brakes) parking brake, whether hand operated or electrical.

The scary thing to me is the steer by wire that Tesla are introducing starting with the Cyber Truck. That has no traditional steering wheel shaft, only electrical connections to the computers and motors that drive the steering rack. How they got that past regulations, and get it to be safe even when the truck is 20 years old and the batteries are clapped out, I have no idea.
The Cybertruck has dual redundant electric motors to drive the steering, so in the case of a single failure, you'd be fine.

However, the case of a double failure... Modern jet aircraft use triple-redundant systems. But then there's always some systems and devices you cannot triplicate...

Failures are always possible with these systems, it is just about reducing the statistical risk to levels that regulators are comfortable with.

The biggest risk with any car is the human in control. After that the tyres, which are single points of failure that can lead to loss of control. But modern tyres are really really good. Modern humans, not so much...

There's a lot more information in this article about these iPace incidents:

IF we can trust the information they describe:
  • Vehcile declares a fault.
  • Car keeps accelerating without accelerator input.
  • Motor is strong enough to overcome any braking action by the driver, does not cut out.
  • Problems switching into neutral while accelerating, doesn't reliably work.

Here's and explanation of Brake By Wire, clearly what's reported simply can't be true, failure of the system does not result in no brakes.
bbw.png

Thanks. I've added "(debunked)" to the thread title.

I was whizzing on the other day
Just flying along the motorway
I noticed a common phenomenon
My goddamn brakes had only gone
So I calmly called the boys in blue
Perform the service front ‘n back
Save my Soul with a wee T pac
And alert the paparazzi too
They love to follow the blues ‘n two

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums