Police ram runaway electric iPace after brakes fail on M62 (debunked)

IF we can trust the information they describe:
* Motor is strong enough to overcome any braking action by the driver, does not cut out.
That on its own sounds highly implausible to me. Cars are always designed with stronger brakes than motors. Deceleration due to braking is always stronger than acceleration.

So if you run the stats Jaguar have sold over 60,000 iPace and 1 has had this issue, which gives all the other owners of an iPace a 0.0016% chance of this happening to them. If you then extrapolate the numbers to every EV on the road the chances of the incident happening to ANY EV owner become a very tiny number.

There's a lot more information in this article about these iPace incidents:

IF we can trust the information they describe:
  • Vehcile declares a fault.
  • Car keeps accelerating without accelerator input.
  • Motor is strong enough to overcome any braking action by the driver, does not cut out.
  • Problems switching into neutral while accelerating, doesn't reliably work.

I'm sorry, but when did the Daily Mail have any credibilty for honest reporting...

Apparently the driver has been arrested. (Sorry for the source):

Reading the comments I see someone called Morag is mentioned (and not necessarily in a good way). 😲

Ooh, I must have a look. Got to keep my notoriety quotient up.

Looked. He wants to know what I think? Wow. I didn't watch the video where he interviewed the driver, because 45 minutes? And are we actually imagining that the driver is going to tell the whole truth, the honest truth and nothing like the truth? I don't think so. The thought that he had been speeding and dreamed all this up to avoid being done was probably the uppermost one in my mind, and I didn't exactly expect a confession.

Now I have to watch the interview, don't I?

The trouble is, I quite like Geoff, but he's absolutely lost down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theorising. Rather than believe in the simple "conspiracy" that a driver made up a creative story (and situation) to avoid a speeding conviction, he's likely to decide that the poor victim is being framed by Big Electricity to avoid admitting that an EV had a fault.

Last edited:
This is the interesting comment on Geoff's video. Apparently the poster queried (debunked?) the driver's story in the comments under the interview video. He mentioned this, and Geoff asked him to elaborate. He did.

1710353142351.png

Forget the jag stories - This is serious :-

My ebike it seems has gone rogue
I’ve not seen it in over a week
It was with my Ryobi lawnmower
I’ve not had my troubles to seek
The pair of them sat side-by-side
In the garage, just as I’d hoped
But just lately I am really concerned
I’m sure they’ve made off and eloped
Coppers just laughed at my plight
Not taking it seriously I think