Poll on owning & using a Type 2 "fast" charge cable

Do you own a Type 2 cable and do you use it?

• Total voters

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
After various discussions I'm curious as to who actually has bought a Type 2 cable sometimes needed for fast (AC) charging.
Also, why/where folk have used/needed them.

There's a few poll choices, multiple choices are required as it's kinda a few different questions in one poll...

Do you own or not own a Type 2 cable?

Do you NEED a Type 2 cable for how you have to use/charge your car?

I've emphasised the word "Need"; please don't choose this option for instance if you have used it a few times but didn't really need to and you just thought you'd give it a try/grab a few free electrons etc.

Do you ONLY have/use a Type 2 cable to get free charging at places like supermarkets?
I ask this because I wonder if many people ever recoup the cost of buying the cable i.e. will you ever in your cars lifetime get enough free charge vs just charging at home to make the cost of the cable back.
Also, just my personal opinion is in the near future it won't be much use; as they'll be so many people trying to use them it will be hard to get on one, and I can see them all going to pay rather than free.

I haven't got a 7kWk charger at home so I use a granny charger if I have to occasionally, most of my charging is done on public 7kWh chargers. I use free charging in supermarkets, Tesco and Aldi. I also charge a lot on public Pod Point chargers, the ones I use are 18p per kWh which isn't bad for the current market. The cable I have cost £125 and it's paid for itself multiple times over. I wouldn't own an EV without one because it gives you the ability to charge anywhere not just at home or rapid DC chargers.

My answer would be, I am ‘considering‘ getting a type 2 charger for the odd free supermarket vend for possibly 2 x a week. Caveat….. when I get an EV and only if the free vends are still available.

Sorry I slipped through the gaps in your poll questions :)

{suppose I could have selected ‘I Do NOT own a Type 2 charger’ but felt it needed some context 👍}

I own the lead but do not own the car yet.
My home charger is untethered and I have access to a charger at work which is also untethered.
I will need the cable for either chargers and will happily grab the odd free boost when it's available.

I haven't got a 7kWk charger at home so I use a granny charger if I have to occasionally, most of my charging is done on public 7kWh chargers. I use free charging in supermarkets, Tesco and Aldi. I also charge a lot on public Pod Point chargers, the ones I use are 18p per kWh which isn't bad for the current market. The cable I have cost £125 and it's paid for itself multiple times over. I wouldn't own an EV without one because it gives you the ability to charge anywhere not just at home or rapid DC chargers.
I agree, 18p pkWh is very reasonably for a public AC charger.

This is a great poll but it sounds like the focus of the poll is assuming people only need a type 2 for free charging. There is a large number of pay chargers in London are lampposts or fast chargers without fixed cables. Without a type 2 you cannot use these paid chargers.

Just for context there are a number of people who cannot have a home charger so cannot live without a type2 to use the above.

Obviously there are high watt fast and rapids that have a tethered cables but there is a lot less of these. They are also way more expensive and not suitable for regular use.

I think in the end it comes down to personal use and what’s available to you. Result will probably vary quite a lot.

Last edited:
I needed a type 2 lead, as I choose the untethered zappi. This means the lead it not only for home use, but if I do use it for supermarkets or destination charging (eg Harry Potter studios).

Destination charging is often so much cheaper than a nearby rapid, the difference alone probably paid for the lead.

This is a great poll but it sounds like the focus of the poll is assuming people only need a type 2 for free charging. There is a large number of pay chargers in London are lampposts or fast chargers without fixed cables. Without a type 2 you cannot use these paid chargers.

Just for context there are a number of people who cannot have a home charger so cannot live without a type2 to use the above.

Obviously there are high watt fast and rapids that have a tethered cables but there is a lot less of these. They are also way more expensive and not suitable for regular use.

I think in the end it comes down to personal use and what’s available to you. Result will probably vary quite a lot.
My only other thought was I was lucky enough to negotiate a free one as part of the car deal. My assumption being from talking to friends with EV’s it was better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That is something I was curious about, I've never seen any "official" stats on what percentage of EV owners charge at home vs needing public type 2/AC chargers.
This poll should give us those stats hopefully from the 'I NEED a Type 2 charger for my charging routine" answer.

That is something I was curious about, I've never seen any "official" stats on what percentage of EV owners charge at home vs needing public type 2/AC chargers.
This poll should give us those stats hopefully from the 'I NEED a Type 2 charger for my charging routine" answer.
Yeah true you are right.
It is interesting to see what results we get:)

I needed a type 2 cable for destination charging (mostly work), therefore chose an untethered home wall point. So it's a Need on 2 counts.

Do you ONLY have/use a Type 2 cable to get free charging at places like supermarkets?
I ask this because I wonder if many people ever recoup the cost of buying the cable i.e. will you ever in your cars lifetime get enough free charge vs just charging at home to make the cost of the cable back.
I own and carry one just in case I might need it. Also my domestic charger is untethered and so are my employers.

I own a T2 cable and sometimes need it. Last time was a a Rapid charger that CCS wouldn't activate on the MG5 in Portugal. Topped me up to reach another rapid later in the day.

No I don't own a type 2 cable, In fact in the two years I've owned this MG ZS EV I still haven't used a public charger o_O I charge 100% at home.

I have three.
One came with the ZE50 I previously had and I may have "forgot" to put it in the car when I sold it.
Second I purchased to use with my untethered home charger and is permanently left attached, with a motorbike lock to the wall, to prevent anyone just walking away with it.
Third came with the car I'm leasing through Elmo so I suspect they'll want that back with the car 🤭

I have a tethered wall box at home and 100% of my charging needs are satisfied by that unit.
However, our previous ZS EV ( Gen1 ) was our first full BEV after owning a PHEV for over four years prior.
I made the decision to purchase a Type 2 cable, purely as a pro cautionary measure.
Why - Well even with the best of planning, I considered they MAYBE a time / situation where by my chosen route, had been over extended by a unplanned diversion / road accident etc.
Therefore need Ming to seek out a near by public charging post.
These vita lifelines are not a lot of use, if you don’t have the necessary cable to attach to them !.
So, have I used it and do I regret buying it ?.
Yes I have used it, not extensively - true.
But it has been used.
Not because I was in sticky situation with a low SOC.
But remember this folks, posts offered by super markets and at shopping centres etc require the use of your OWN type 2 cable.
Imagine the huge frustration of finding you are in need some unexpected extra juice and when arriving at a nearby charging post, but unable to use it, because you don’t have a type 2 cable in order to connect to it !.
Have I therefore recouped the full cost of the original outlay - NO.
Now two years further down the road, would I still buy one ? - YES !.

Didn't own one until I went on holiday to France. There were loads of Type 2 chargers, but not many CCS.

Other than that, I think I've charged once in the UK since January, and that was a CCS at a motorway service station.

Imagine the huge frustration of finding you are in need some unexpected extra juice and when arriving at a nearby charging post, but unable to use it, because you don’t have a type 2 cable in order to connect to it !.
Have I therefore recouped the full cost of the original outlay - NO.
Sounds a bit like carrying a spare wheel.

Sounds a bit like carrying a spare wheel.
It is !.
Having the facility of the under floor boot space, that can carry a spare wheel etc is very rare on EV’s and that is why I think people should take full advantage of the facility.
As our type 2 is not in frequent use, I coil the type 2 lead around the space saver and keep a telescopic wheel brace in the boot.
Also, the V2L cable is coiled around the spare as well.
The 12 volt battery 🔋 jump pack is under the drivers seat and a 10mm spanner 🔧 is taped to the side of the 12 volt battery.
I like to think 🤔 I have covered most of my bases, should I need any of the above items 🤣.
Fail to plan, then plan to fail I say !.
Strangely enough, I have used the jump pack many times helping out folks who have discovered a flat 12 volt battery in their ICE cars.
As a Boy Scout we where always told :- “Be Prepared”.

Didn't own one until I went on holiday to France. There were loads of Type 2 chargers, but not many CCS.

Other than that, I think I've charged once in the UK since January, and that was a CCS at a motorway service station.
Wow, less than c400 miles since January, that is low mileage. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom