Power draw with two EVs charging simultaneously

Jonhklee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
E25DBDF3-8E11-48EE-BDB9-A0E4D235EA04.jpeg

So impressed with the Octupus EV tariff! Two EVs charging simultaneously during off-peak EV hours! I had two chargers installed - one front and one in the garage. Both pulling 32A continuously! I have a two phase 120Amp combined single phase supply, so have headroom for a third if needed šŸ˜‚

I think this will become an increasingly common scenario, but one that a standard single phase 100A supply can easily deal with.

My heat pump, car and kitchen appliances pull 18kW so there is headroom for the kettle at 2:00 am too!

My heat pump, car and kitchen appliances pull 18kW so there is headroom for the kettle at 2:00 am too!
Oh heat pumpā€¦ I wish my installation company would get back to me about the heat pumpā€¦

How is the heat pump in terms of consumption?

Oh heat pumpā€¦ I wish my installation company would get back to me about the heat pumpā€¦

How is the heat pump in terms of consumption?
You can't really even give an estimate of consumption. So many factors affect mine, outdoor temp, indoor temp, insulation in home, and obviously size of the home, but as a general guide to heat pumps:

Do you have storage heaters --> get a heat pump

do you have LPG or Oil --> get a heat pump (running costs from LPG might be slightly more but the convenience of not having to fill a tank is worth it imo)

Do you have mains gas --> don't a heat pump - Running costs will be quite a bit higher.

You can't really even give an estimate of consumption. So many factors affect mine, outdoor temp, indoor temp, insulation in home, and obviously size of the home, but as a general guide to heat pumps:

Do you have storage heaters --> get a heat pump

do you have LPG or Oil --> get a heat pump (running costs from LPG might be slightly more but the convenience of not having to fill a tank is worth it imo)

Do you have mains gas --> don't a heat pump - Running costs will be quite a bit higher.
If you want to stop burning stuff to heat your home --> get a heat pump

We have "heat pump" heating in the house, makes a huge difference to the running costs we had before, plus the added bonus of its reversible so we have Air con in the summer,
Highly recommended.

Heat Pumps are like EVs, people hate them without knowing about them.

My electricity cost for November was Ā£175. I am on the Go tariff so 4 hours a night it works hard and the rest of the day runs as needed. 250 litres of hot water and the underfloor heating of a 40 sq m kitchen are run at night time. April to September I doubt we will need to run heating in the daytime, the bill will be Ā£65/70 per month for heat, light, cooking and motoring! November was pretty chilly so at the top end of consumption. December will be cheap, I am in Canada! But mine was installed in September and is missing some controls still, consequently I would expect bills to be reduced in any event. I used to use oil buying around 2,200 litres a year, so consumption about 2,000 kWh. This year oil would have been Ā£1100, I estimate that will be more than my full electricity bill.

Now my house is 5 beds, 3 bathrooms large lounge and larger kitchen, in the open plan style. Most homes wonā€™t need a 14 KW heat pump (Ecodan) and the smaller units are 10% more efficient than mine. Big radiators are a must but my house, originally built in 1984, extended in 2017, was built with single glazing and little loft insulation. Bringing it up to date with cavity insulation and loft insulation and double glazing meant that all but one radiator needed changing, and that was a simple swap of a single panel for a double.

The installation looks more complicated than it really is, now that I have seen it done I would be tempted to fit one myself in the future. The smoke and mirrors are about getting a high volume of water round so that the temperature drop across the radiator is only 2~3 degrees and the heat pump output is as low a temperature as possible, 30 to 35 degrees will produce a very cost efficient system with a COP of 4 across the year. It might be advantageous to use an under sink water heater in the kitchen, bathing water is cooler and within a more efficient range of the heat pump and you donā€™t have to waste water running the tap waiting for hot water to reach it.
We have 3 circulating pumps now and you need a mass of water in the system to stop the heat pump cycling, big heat pumps of 8.5 kw and above need 28 mm pipe work, you also need a hwc with a large coil/heat exchanger. But for a regular 3 bedroom semi, I think a 5 KW pump with a conventional 165 litre part L hwc, 22 mm pipe work and 1 circulating pump for 8 radiators would do it. Even if you added just one night storage heater as back up where the heat loss calculations are borderline that would be a rational and inexpensive way to do it. PM me if you want full reasoning.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom