power point in boot?

profdraper

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone had the experience - or can recommend a resource - for installing a power point in the boot? In particuar, a cigarette lighter port suitable for a small refigerator.

Has anyone had the experience - or can recommend a resource - for installing a power point in the boot? In particuar, a cigarette lighter port suitable for a small refigerator.
I've bought a double 12v point off aliexpress with the intention to do exactly this (aliexpress.com/item/32915762340.html). It's sitting on my desk waiting for a day when I can have a go - and will likely do so for some time yet!

I did start a thread on this before I made the purchase and I will revisit this before I have a go. I haven't done anything like this other than running a hardwire cable for a dashcam, so it will be a learning curve for me. The suggestions were to simply run it off the same fuse as the 12v in the front. I don't know where I will run the cable, though.... I don't know much yet, tbh! So any suggestions would be great. (I will be consulting a mechanic friend who strips cars down and rebuilds them, so I will feed back if I get anything useful).

Quick YouTube search found various videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=12v+outlet+install

I've not watched any yet, but just putting it out there in case it's useful for others.

I would also have liked a 12v socket in the boot. So useful for plugging in an electric cool box for picnics, or for getting your ice cream home, still frozen, from the shops.

I've bought a double 12v point off aliexpress with the intention to do exactly this (aliexpress.com/item/32915762340.html). It's sitting on my desk waiting for a day when I can have a go - and will likely do so for some time yet!

I did start a thread on this before I made the purchase and I will revisit this before I have a go. I haven't done anything like this other than running a hardwire cable for a dashcam, so it will be a learning curve for me. The suggestions were to simply run it off the same fuse as the 12v in the front. I don't know where I will run the cable, though.... I don't know much yet, tbh! So any suggestions would be great. (I will be consulting a mechanic friend who strips cars down and rebuilds them, so I will feed back if I get anything useful).
Thanks for this.
Having done a little more research myself, I'm not so sure at all now. It would seem that many cigarette lighter-styled sockets aren't really designed to or can handle a fridge. This isn't just the case for a ZSEV but many other traditional vehicles, eg:

More rare perhaps, I'm guessing it 'may' be possibleto power from the EV main battery similar to V2L, but the standard 12v option doesnt seem promising. Meanwhile, have also been investigating small li-on powered fridges which look promising. Apparently these can be charged up via USB or power socket (incl. V2L) and so one could charge the thing at home before travel and/or re-charge when you get there.

Yeah I have 3 in the back of my 4wd running from an isolated Aux battery under the bonnet.

Ryobi do an 18v cordless fridge, may be a bit big for a ZS boot though.

Personally, I'd look at adding a 50-100ah Lifepo4 in the boot to run the fridge. A 50ah weighs 6-7kg and will run a 30-40L fridge for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom