Pre-heating interior on cold mornings

ArfurM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I know you can't set the MG5 to "pre-heat", but can you start it and set the defrost running for a awhile when it's on the juice (i.e. unattended)? Not as convenient I know, but at least it would defrost your screen etc. whilst on the mains....

Not sure how efficient the MG5 is at defrosting, demisting, but if it's like the ZS then pre-heating is not necessary as it only takes 1-2 minutes to defrost and demist, with the heat set at full, the front and rear demist buttons pressed and air flow set to recirc and it only uses a small amount of the HV battery.

Having used it in freezing Scotland this winter, I can say Defrosting in the MG5 is rapid!!! No need to pre-heat it. Approx a minute and a bit later, the screen is clear. I have exclusive, heated seats and super quick to heat ventilation. It’s been the best winter car I have had!

Just to say: yes, you can pre-heat while plugged in and charging. The benefit of this is to avoid eating into your range for your journey, as well as saving a minute of sitting waiting for it to defrost, or to avoid having to get into an oven on days like today.

Be careful though. As soon as you unplug the charger, the car will shut off the HV battery and you will rapidly deplete the 12v battery so be sure to switch it off and then on to full ready mode again after unplugging.

It's also challenging (but possible) to lock and unlock the car while it's 'on'.

Thanks for the tip, Petriix. It's just handy to know you can, even if I'm not sure I will

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom