Preferred choice of home charger

LazzzzYx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I’m in a position now to get my home ev charger fitted and tbh I’m not so much at a loss atlas to which to install but there’s so many options I thought I would ask for the communities views and experiences

The only thing set really is that I won’t be able to go higher than 7.7kw

So I don’t mind untethered or tethered and the box can be inside or outside the garage

Obviously don’t want to over spend for little gain so just wondering what advice or recommendations folks have please

Also to add, I’m intended on it being installed via my own electrician while the garage gets rewired

I fitted my original Ohme in the garage and just had a bit if cable under the door to reach the car.
I have since swapped it for a Zappi as i now have solar panels and a battery.
What sort of mileage do you do?

Depending on your energy supplier as some will off discounts for installation some offer better tariffs for certain brands for example with ovo they have 2 brands they use for the 5p any time charging one of them being ohme

If you have a read of the general section there are some really useful comments on this:

One thing that has not been mentioned. See if you can run an ethernet cable direct from your router to the charger, it is much better than wireless.
I have my EO mini pro tethered inside the garage and just run the cable outside when required, or stay inside if car is inside (usually winter). I have installed a couple of smoke alarms just in case.

One thing that has not been mentioned. See if you can run an ethernet cable direct from your router to the charger, it is much better than wireless.
I have my EO mini pro tethered inside the garage and just run the cable outside when required, or stay inside if car is inside (usually winter). I have installed a couple of smoke alarms just in case.
That's one good thing with the Ohme the data connection is a inbuilt multi network sim

I use a Zappi, and have no problems. Love it on a sunny day when the sun charges the car for nothing. One of the reasons for going electric......

Attachments

• WIN_20221006_11_04_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221006_11_04_59_Pro.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 102
  • WIN_20221006_11_05_20_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221006_11_05_20_Pro.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 102
There’s a lot of different options available but something to consider is the size and style you would prefer. I can offer a few options if you want to message me what you're thinking of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not cheap but the Andersen units are really good and the tethered cable, mine is 8.5m winds into it so it looks really neat on the side of the house, you can choose colours or wood finishes. It does what it says and has a app for controlling it etc.

I also use a Zappi, charging 99% of the time only via solar. (Also use the zappi app to see when my solar is sending to the grid, I can then switch other appliances on remotely to use up the excess juice )

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom