Press Brake to start Fault.

PeterV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Everyone,
My MG5 won't start anymore. I get the error "Press Brake to start"
It does start the instruments and radio, and the battery is 76%.
I book it for service but I can't wait 2 weeks.
Is it difficult to fix? Can I fix it myself? Is it just a faulty sensor on the brake pedal?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Peter

Do you mean it's not showing "READY" on the dash or it won't go into D (or R) ?
The brake light switch is the first place I'd look or if it just won't go into D, then check all the doors and boot are shut properly.

Hi Kithmo, Correct. I'm not getting READY. When I press the Start button a second time, it changes the light to green and after 10 seconds I get a message "High voltage system switching off"
Where can I find the brake light switch? On pedal?
Thanks.
Hi Alb, I have my car for longer than a year. I have RAC now.

Hi Kithmo, Correct. I'm not getting READY. When I press the Start button a second time, it changes the light to green and after 10 seconds I get a message "High voltage system switching off"
Thanks.
If you had it serviced by an MG dealer then you get another year with the AA.
Have your foot on the brake pedal when you press the button to go straight into Ready mode.

If you had it serviced by an MG dealer then you get another year with the AA.
Have your foot on the brake pedal when you press the button to go straight into Ready mode.
I have the foot on the brake pedal. That's why I'm asking for help here...

I'll try to replace brake light switch first. I'll let you if that was the cause.
Thanks everyone.

Thanks.
Why are you pressing the button a second time?

I'll try to replace brake light switch first. I'll let you if that was the cause.
Thanks everyone.
Sometimes they can stick - you could see if it’s free before looking at a new one. I wouldn’t touch it yourself though unless you’re very confident.

It wouldn't hurt to look at the switch on the brake pedal as it could be something as simple as a dislodged connector. Failing that it's a warranty issue and as the car is immobile, a good reason for calling MG Assist.

I often have to press the button a second time because the brake pedal doesn't register. That said when it goes green it stays on.
HV system switching off sounds weird, I don't think that's anything to do with the brake pedal.

Agreed, quite often I've had to press the Start Button twice to remove the High System fault in the past. Not sure why this comes on. Maybe another 10mm spanner job.
Is thier an unknown theme with the Start Stop button process failing. Sorry I cannot help, I'm also waiting for MG to look at mine sat in the garage forecourt.

The only time I have got the HV warning is when I have failed to put my foot on the brake before pressing the button and a second press does clear it if foot is on the brake.. The only time I press the button twice intentionally is if I'm quickly checking something, and not sat in the car.

I often have to press the button a second time because the brake pedal doesn't register. That said when it goes green it stays on.
HV system switching off sounds weird, I don't think that's anything to do with the brake pedal.
"HV battery disconnected" is what mine says if you forget to press the brake pedal when turning it on.

Not likely to be related but I had an issue with auto hold, after a rapid charge the car would go forward in reverse or drive, turning auto hold off and restarting the car fixed it. So it may be worth checking it's turned off but it doesn't sound particularly related.

Occasionally I have had problems when after pressing start, nothing seems to work or I get a message about System error. I finally traced it to me being too quick in selecting Drive, before the "System Ready" dash display appears. The solution was to power down and start again, taking my time...

To check the foot brake switch is working is to get some at the back switch the car on as far it will go and press the brake to see if the brake lights come on if they do it’s working. I can not see there will be two switches on the foot brake. Then if working it will be something els.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom