Private plates- excellent idea or silly?

Private Plate- yes, no or maybe?

• Total voters

fatboyfat1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Prompted by seeing “MG22 XXX (my initials)” for under £400, wondering what people’s thoughts are.

Bit of a pipe dream for me as SWMBO would tell me off & I’d normally think it “should” be reserved for classics…

I have had a private plate for years now it's handy so I don't have to remember a new one each time it can be a pain swopping over or putting on retention when I sell cars on it is easier now it online the day of driving to the dvla and standing in a queue for hours have gone thankfully

I also have a private plate, which I’ve had for years and will go on the new car when it turns up…dealer said do I really want it on a new car?…er, yes I do..

I've had a personal plate for 16 years now but it's currently on my other car.

Apparently, if you come to sell your car and if it doesn't have a date on the private plate, it sells for more.

NE14ABJ is a good you when want a laugh at the supermarket 😜😂
It is madness the price of some of them can get to

NE14ABJ is a good you when want a laugh at the supermarket 😜😂
It is madness the price of some of them can get to
Some more obvious ones can be surprisingly cheap, a mate had FA57 XXX (again, his initials) for £500, although one would assume that FA57 BMW/VAG/etc are a bit dearer!

iu

Coincidence or not? I was in a car park in Stagg Square London in 1994. On the second floor were two cars parked next to each other, one plate was A1 and the other was 1A. I was told one belonged to the chairman of BP and the other to a London Property Developer who had paid over £150000 for it. My phone didn’t have a camera in those days, what a pity.

Hi
Myself, my wife and our two sons have private plates and we all agree it’s a lot easier when you go to a parking machine that asks for your registration 😂
But the best one I saw was in Leeds back in the early nineties it was on a white fiat uno it was
F11CKU
You can guess where the only number plate screw was😂
I also remember those blue and white stickers that spelt your name in the style of a number plate
Me and my friends had a laugh with those when you would pull up at the side of someone who had one of those stickers on the back of their car at the traffic lights and we would shout out “ Eyup John (or what ever the sticker said) long time no see how are you going on” obviously the person looked bemused as how did we know their name😂😂😂😂😂
O such fun
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Takes away the age of your car.
I agree !.
I learnt this lesson about twenty years ago, when I bought my first private plate !.
Disguise’s the age of your car as @Vipar correctly states.
My wife’s Fiat 500 was purchased new in 2016 it has only covered about 13,000 miles and is in showroom condition.
The car is almost six years old now, but you would never know it !.
The shape is still current so the plate hides it real age of the car really well.
A few people have remarked on its condition and asked how old is the car ?.
I ask them to guess and they never get it right, most say 6 - 12 months.
Job done ✅ private number plate !.
My wife said she would love an easy method to hide her own age 🤣.
Our plate for the new Trophy is sitting on a retention document at the moment, due to the back log at DVLA.
As soon as the V5 arrives, the plates will go onto the car.
I don’t go for this new number plate game.
Only the public purchases cars on the number on the plate, dealers buy on the first date of registration.
I would never register a new car just before Xmas.
In less than a week, the car flips a year at the time of resale.

Don't understand why it's so important that the age of a car isn't easily determined from the number plate.

I can understand having a "funny" number plate but just to hide the car's age....hmmmm!
I have mine on the car, not to hide the age, I’m putting it straight away when I get the car, so I’m hiding a brand new 22 year plate, I put mine on because it has my name on it, but more so, that people I know, know the plate and the car, they know it’s me, I’ve done this on both my cars…and had people saying, I saw you the other day at so and so in the Porsche…

I bought mine in 1995, an N1 with my initials, to go on a brand new Jaguar x300 4.0 ltr sovereign. It was used on four further cars of same year and model. In 2021 a blind dip stick reversed into my car whilst parked and it was written off by my insurance company. So it now sits on retention as it adds a huge % to my insurance costs. After using it for 26 years I struggle to remember my new number plate.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom