Probably in need of a brain transplant

Shrink Proof

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
OK, completely happy with the MG5. 1,700 enjoyable miles until today. Parked at a friend's place, restarted and then it had a seizure...

Screen went blank (noticed immediately as I had to reverse away from my parking spot)
Rear radar failed
Parking brake light failed

And then a string of warning notices (bong, bong, bong...)
Autohold Fail
Traction Control System Fail
Stability Control System Fail
EPS Performance Decrease

Later I got a warning that the auto headlight system was unavailable

Then I noticed that there was no ticking alert when using the indicators (though they flashed OK)

So...

Tried tapping the screen to get something back - zilch
Tried the "hold the infotainment button in for ages to reboot" - zilch
Tried the 10mm spanner on the negative battery terminal trick - screen came back on, reversing camera and radar OK, even got sound with the indicators but all safety features are now "failed" or "unavailable" and there's no autohold

It's a call to the dealer first thing but meanwhile, has anyone here had their car suffer a similar nervous breakdown? If so, what helped/happened?

Last edited:
Not had this thankfully and done similar miles. Would be interested to hear what dealer says and how you resolve and hope others on here can help.

OK, completely happy with the MG5. 1,700 enjoyable miles until today. Parked at a friend's place, restarted and then it had a seizure...

Screen went blank (noticed immediately as I had tro reverse away from my parking spot)
Rear radar failed

Autohold Fail
EPS Performance Decrease

Then I noticed that there was no ticking alert when using the indicators (though they flashed OK)

So...

Tried the "hold the infotainment button in for ages to reboot) - zilch
Tried the 10mm spanner on the negative battery terminal trick - screen came back on, reversing camera and radar OK, even got sound with the indicators but all safety features are now "failed" or "unavailable" and there's no autohold

It's a call to the dealer first thing but meanwhile, has anyone here had their car suffer a similar nervous breakdown? If so, what helped/happened?
Ouch, that’s a nasty one for sure. I seem to have recovered from my “dead car / flat 12 volt battery” problem of a week or two back - seemingly without lasting trouble. But it’ll be interesting to find out how you progress with this one. Best of luck there 👌

Screen went blank (noticed immediately as I had to reverse away from my parking spot)
Rear radar failed

Autohold Fail
EPS Performance Decrease

So...

Tried the "hold the infotainment button in for ages to reboot" - zilch

Not with my MG5 but suffered a similar breakdown in the electrics and warning information when driving I owned a Skoda Yeti. One thing after another appeared to go wrong. Warning message after warning message. Indicator lights stopped working. Brake lights failed. Wing mirrors wouldn’t open out after locking the car.

This wouldn’t have been so bad if I was at my house but I was attending a conference in Teddington, London at that time. Limped back home to Mansfield where we lived then and straight to the dealers on the Monday morning. After investigating they concluded a massive failure of the fuse box which was in the main engine compartment. Probably due to water seepage and subsequent damage with the resulting bill to fix about £600! Decided to trade it in and get another car. No idea if they were pulling the wool over my eyes but couldn’t drive away to another garage as the car was declared unroadworthy which would have negated my insurance!

Not with my MG5 but suffered a similar breakdown in the electrics and warning information when driving I owned a Skoda Yeti. One thing after another appeared to go wrong. Warning message after warning message. Indicator lights stopped working. Brake lights failed. Wing mirrors wouldn’t open out after locking the car.

Ah, a fellow Skoda sufferer. Weirdly, my previous car was a Skoda Yeti and getting shut of the wretched thing was one of the reasons for buying the MG5. One fault after another; I was at the dealer so often I could've gone to their works parties.

If this is a teething problem, well, OK, I'll cope. If this is out of the frying pan and into the fire, I may not be responsible for my actions...

Did you try driving your car after disconnecting the battery?
When I had to reset mine it gave me all the failure warnings yours has, but they all went away after a couple of miles driving.

I had a similar problem recently with the infotainment unit failing to boot. Caused issues with indicators failing to tick, rear camera not showing distance, clock on dash incorrect plus (obviously) no way to control heating etc. It was 1 year service time and the unit had a system reset which fixed the issue. Hopefully yours is also a simple fix but sounds as if it's the same kind of symptoms. Good luck!

I had a similar problem recently with the infotainment unit failing to boot. Caused issues with indicators failing to tick, rear camera not showing distance, clock on dash incorrect plus (obviously) no way to control heating etc. It was 1 year service time and the unit had a system reset which fixed the issue. Hopefully yours is also a simple fix but sounds as if it's the same kind of symptoms. Good luck!
Thanks for that. Garage won't look at it until Feb 3rd as it's driveable and hence not as urgent as some folk...

On my previous car (Vx Ampera) once the 12v battery started to degrade it caused spurious and random errors, some of which would prevent the car being started, or make it run in limp-home mode. The clever ones on the forum recommended changing the 12v at 3 years whether it needed it or not, which I did.

I doubt that is the problem here though, on a nearly new car.

OK, as requested, an update:-

The various functions on the car that showed warning signs and/or didn't work all reverted to OK a day or two after the 12v battery disconnection. It's driven perfectly since then the only difference being that the trip counter had reset itself to zero with effect from the time it had a seizure (car mileometer unaffected).

Since it was already booked in at the dealer I had it checked over. They said it's now entirely OK, but that the computer on the diagnostic unit had recorded a problem with a fast charger on the day it all went wrong. But it never went anywhere near a charger that day. Admittedly I'd charged it at home (Hypervolt unit) the day before so that it was fully charged for use the next day. And that day I'd driven 70+ miles in two stretches, there and back, without any problems and it only went screwy when I started it for the third time.

So now we wait I guess. But the 10mm spanner is living in the glove box...

I’ve just had the same meltdown with all the warnings coming one after the other. I have just changed the headlight bulbs and disconnected the negative at the battery while I did the job. Have other people found it resets to normal after a short time/distance?

Update: didn’t get more than 10m and the warning lights all went off.

So it seems disconnecting the negative causes temporary system meltdown. Reminds me of a Skoda Fabia I had a while back that took ages to reset the service light and other warnings after work was done

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom