Problem updating SatNav

smokie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Even though I don't use it. I thought I'd update the built-in SatNav. I'm using a 16Gb Cruzer Blade USB stick, formatted as FAT32. I have registered an account with Naviextras and selected MG5 EV, and the Toolbox says I have an "MG touch MG5 EV - Europe".

So I've done the bit on the car to put a fingerprint on the USB, then done the update in the Toolbox (which seems to do stuff, albeit fairly quickly, i.e. it isn't a huge download), but when I go back to the car it tells me that the update files are invalid.

I've tried different USB sticks.

Anyone got any thoughts before I try their support? I'm not that bothered but I do like to finish a job once I've started it!!

@smokie

Interesting!

I've just installed the latest update from Naviextras, using what appears to be exactly the same process as you and it went (relatively) without a hitch! In my case it was purchased map updates for which NNG had offered me a 20% discount; otherwise I might not have felt inclined to update when prices exceed £100!

The actual USB stick I used is one that was supplied with my old MG6, for exactly that purpose: updating the iGo maps. It's 8GB USB2. Is there any chance your stick might be USB 3? I don't think that should create the problem but who knows??

As for NNG support: their website states that they do not offer support for their products in the MG5, or the MG6 (my wife now has the 6 so I try and keep it up to date as well). I did try to see if they were "willing" to offer some help - I wanted to be able to transfer navigation settings and favourites from the 6 to the 5 - but they made quite clear they did not offer any support for the SatNavs in either the 6 or the 5!

One thing to check: when you first put a fingerprint on the USB I assume you did this by inserting it and then going to Settings>System>Update Navigation? If so, did you check exactly what files/folders it put onto the stick? If I remember correctly, there should be 3 (at least), one of which is called SyncTool. I think this is the key one.

One other thing to mention: I said earlier that my update went relatively easily. There was one "glitch" which slightly worried me: when I inserted the memory stick (with the new map files on it), went to Settings (as above) the process of "Reading the files" started, took rather a long time and then suddenly crashed and rebooted the Infotainment System! Not good, indeed slightly worrying at the thought of a possibly bricked system!

However, following the reboot (by restarting the car) the process then continued and completed, successfully I think (I've yet to test that everything is back to how it was before!)

Perhaps you need to retry the whole process, from having the SatNav prepare the stick right through to attempting to update the car's SatNav.

One other thought: do you know which update you were being offered? Was it a full maps one or simply an update to POI or similar? I ask because you said the process in the Naviextras Toolbox was quite quick. My Maps update was more than 2GB in total so took some time to complete the download.

@emmrecs - thanks for the detailed response.

What you say about the 2.9Gb download is interesting, mine did nothing like that. After the download the USB only has 24mb on it, which in my experience is nowhere near enough, and I'm fairly sure it's the same stuff as before the download (i.e. the "fingerprint").

I did try more than once but it just crossed my mind that maybe the maps were already up to date - unlikely as car was delivered Dec last year. If I get time tomorrow I'll get the version numbers and compare, and try again with a different USB.

Tried doing mine the weekend.
First USB it ate, unrecognised in the pc after and even rufus couldnt format it.

2nd usb took ages. Dumped around 3-4gb of files on the drive. Went back to the car and it went through and half way through checking files it just blackscreen rebooted itself. Tried twice no cigar.

Going to grab a fresh USB and try a 3rd time.

@smokie
car was delivered Dec last year
Mine was delivered in March this year but maps were, apparently, out of date already.

@Lguk
Your experience was clearly very similar to mine, except that, following the crash and reboot, I was able to complete the update process. In my case, following the crash I fully rebooted the car itself before attempting to continue the update process.

I wonder what MG UK think of the fact that the company supplying their SatNav maps and software, NNG, refuse to offer any support to the end-user and expect that MG will fulfil this role? Has anyone tried asking MG UK or even the dealer who supplied their car for such support? I suspect that support will not be easily forthcoming, if available at all!

I should add, I do IT for a living, I'm quite familiar with doing system updates and the quirks that can entail. The system hard resetting implies it's having trouble with a file.

I'll grab a variety of sticks and have another go at a convenient time. Same as others, I don't use it, but would like it to be relatively up to date should the need arise.

There were 2 updates available for my car, a map and a charge point poi. I'll try just doing the map on its own next time.

If the car updates are similar I can see why some dealers are skipping them during pdi

I wonder what MG UK think of the fact that the company supplying their SatNav maps and software, NNG, refuse to offer any support to the end-user and expect that MG will fulfil this role? ... I suspect that support will not be easily forthcoming, if available at all!
I imagine this was how the contract between MG and the provider was written.

Tried again with a number of sticks but it's always the same.

The problem is with the download in Naviextras. It takes seconds. I've cleared the cache to make sure it re-downloads but it doesn't. The documentation says you can change the download/cache location in Settings (which doesn't appear till you have a stick in) but you can't. So I can't even find out where it's going - it's def on the C drive judged by the space reporting it does before it begins.

It also says it'll prompt for a backup before starting but it doesn't.

Seeing as I don't use it anyway, and don't plan to, I'm not going to waste more time on it but I'll try again in a few months just in case it's a problem at their end. Also happy to try any suggestions!

Afterthought: I have just thought while typing this that I've recently put AdGuard on my PC which might be blocking their site so I'll try it without that, and maybe one try on another PC.

@smokie

I think the downloaded files should be in C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Naviextras. Within that folder I think "download_cache" is what you need. Also there is a "backups" folder but for me, at least, it is empty!

By default the AppData folder is, I think, "hidden" so you will need to unhide it first if you have not already done so.

As for AdGuard: I also have this and it doesn't prevent me accessing both Toolbox and the NNG web site.

@emmrecs - sure enough that's where the files are. I'd looked in Local but was lazy about trying Roaming :)

So I copied the contents of the USB drive (primarily to save me having to trundle out to the car to rewrite the fingerprint each time it fails) and copying that back seems to work OK in that it recognises it as a fingerprint and proceeds with the install.

I also de- and re-installed the Toolbox, and copied the files from Roaming (which I know leaves residue in the Registry) but it is probably close enough to a new install when I replace all the files with my backed up ones after a failure.

The failure is clearly that it simply isn't downloading any new files, in the c 3 second period the download bar says it is.

But none of that helped very much. There are a number of log files but they are all not readable so maybe in a custom format.

I had a hunt around t'internet and can't see anyone with a similar problem. So while it must be something to do with my setup, and will probably turn out to be something really obvious, I have much more interesting projects to undertake :)

I might try once on another PC when I can find some time for this one - then again I might not :)

Thanks for your help though :)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom