Process to get 250 Miles shown on full charge - MG5 Long Range

Gold Griffin

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
On arriving to take collection of my stunning new MG5 Long Range Exclusive in bright red, the MG sales associate took great delight in showing me around the inside of the car.

I was shown the car was fully charged showing the 'advertised' range of 250 miles on the dash.

Well for the following two weeks, I could never get the range to show 250 miles when fully charged at 100% charge from my home exterior wall mounted EV charger.

After speaking with the MG sales associate (more like me interrogating him), he eventually informed me there is a somewhat secret way to get the car to show the 250 miles fully charged range. The process as follows:

Adjust the settings on the steering wheel so all recorded miles are at Zero, all trip miles are at Zero. putting the car into Economy mode, with 3 kers and heating turned off. Then miraculously when the app shows 100% charge when I turn on the car it shows 250 miles range.

I hope this helps anyone struggling to see how a full charge can ever show 250 miles.

Last edited:
I think what this does is delete your driving history so it defaults to 250 miles-because effectively the car has no other information to go on. It doesn't mean you will get 250 miles- at this time of year with low temps and heating on 180 is probably more realistic, depending on how you drive in terms of acceleration and overall speed, etc. Also if you're doing the recommended no more than 80% charge (apart from monthly balance charging) the range from completely full to completely empty becomes somewhat irrelevant in many ways.

The guys are right, what it tells you you're going to get and what you actually get are seldom the same. It's called a 'guess' o meter because nobody can pre determine how you will drive or what conditions you will meet.

I have the Mg5 SR and if I can get 150miles it is a victory, normally between 130 and 145 during the winter months. What I have found is that if you look at the trip miles per KWHr actual, it is pretty accurate to use the same data to forecast overall range. The guess o meter is forecasting based on a perfect scenario the like of which most of us will never achieve. Still great and love driving it.

Well I side with MG more so. Prior to purchasing the MG5 Long Range, I owned a new 2021 first edition Mazda MX30. Cork interior, suicide doors, looks stunning drives well, similar to my Wife's Renault Kadjar in SUV shape. But with a maximum range of just over 100 miles and the warning system flashing at 30 miles. It was really just a local car.

I understand that if you have the heated seats on, temperature at 28 and drive 70 MPH, the 250 range shown maximum as MG state as maximum and shows this, will only deliver a lower range.

As each person has a different style of driving. But I live in Southampton and I give it zero worry to drive what I would call normally 70 MPH to London and return and not give a hoot if the miles that were at 250 start needs plugged in and charged.

To have a lovely EV estate that can get a good distance in comfort is a serious result compared to my first new EV. What my point was, that when charging to 100% you can set the range to 'start' at 250 as MG position. then it's up to the driver what the actual distance is returned. in my example with Mazda MX30 it looked great, but I could not get to even Basingstoke without planning a charge on the return journey. So the MG5 Long Range, is just that long range.

'Guess O Meter' GOM. With electric becoming the norm, the only way to judge range is the way the current information is provided.

The indicative range on full charge shown at 250 miles is a good place to start from, based on the journey plan and driving style.

Turn up the heating, listen to music, turn on the heated seats, and drive normally. Otherwise it's all about trying to conserve electricity.

'Guess O Meter' GOM. With electric becoming the norm, the only way to judge range is the way the current information is provided.

The indicative range on full charge shown at 250 miles is a good place to start from, based on the journey plan and driving style.

Turn up the heating, listen to music, turn on the heated seats, and drive normally. Otherwise it's all about trying to conserve electricity.
Making your GOM show 250 miles doesn’t change anything. It could show 1000 miles and you’ll still get the mileage according to the type of driving you carry out.

I really would not worry. It’s not important.

I think what this does is delete your driving history so it defaults to 250 miles-because effectively the car has no other information to go on. It doesn't mean you will get 250 miles- at this time of year with low temps and heating on 180 is probably more realistic, depending on how you drive in terms of acceleration and overall speed, etc. Also if you're doing the recommended no more than 80% charge (apart from monthly balance charging) the range from completely full to completely empty becomes somewhat irrelevant in many ways.
Hi could you please explain to me what balance charging is?

It's when you let the car charge to 100% (not on a rapid) and then leave it plugged in until the battery cells balance. Having only had my MG5 2 weeks there are others who will be far more experienced than me- search the forum and you are bound to find relevant threads or look at the owner's manual. That's what I'll be doing when I do my first balance charge in a couple of weeks!

The mg battery is made up of 108 separate cells normal charging doesn't charge each cell evenly. So mg recommend a balance charge once a month. After a full charge leave the car plugged in this will balance the battery. On the MGZS after the charging light stops pulsing it will turn solid this means its balanceing when it goes out its finished.

Not 250, but close! If I set it to ‘Eco’ it went to 259. As others have said it’s a guess-o-meter.
I’m now trying to drive over 250 on this charge. My guess is I need to be at 4.5mi/kWh or higher.

4791FBAE-03D9-4680-9FD1-9D056E00481D.jpeg

I did some rough calculations based on miles travelled Vs percentage dropped and noting the miles/ kWh and 4 miles/kWh will get you about 160 miles. For every 1 mile/kWh you gain/lose you gain about 50/60 miles it seems. So 5 miles/kWh would give you about 210/220. This was in winter, like 4 °C on a sunny but windy day driving a mix of roads.

I did some rough calculations based on miles travelled Vs percentage dropped and noting the miles/ kWh and 4 miles/kWh will get you about 160 miles. For every 1 mile/kWh you gain/lose you gain about 50/60 miles it seems. So 5 miles/kWh would give you about 210/220. This was in winter, like 4 °C on a sunny but windy day driving a mix of roads.
Using my trip records, my last 450 miles record averaged 2.7 miles per KWHr, these are mainly school runs in eco and KERS 3.weather has been changeable but morning run always cold. I do warm car up for a few minutes before driving each day. I assume that the trip is accurate.

With about 57kWh usable in the LR, to get 250 miles would be approx 4.4 m/kWh. The car's figures are sometimes difficult to suss out how it arrives at them. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom