Prospective MG5 facelift buyer

Rob Healy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I currently drive an MG HS PHEV which I’ve owned for nearly 2 years and I’m now looking at going fully electric and I quite like the look of the MG5 facelift.
Would a current owner be able to give me the height from the driver’s seat (seating position) to the ground please? I’m quite tall and do like the higher driving position of the HS.

Hi, I currently drive an MG HS PHEV which I’ve owned for nearly 2 years and I’m now looking at going fully electric and I quite like the look of the MG5 facelift.
Would a current owner be able to give me the height from the driver’s seat (seating position) to the ground please? I’m quite tall and do like the higher driving position of the HS.
I will try and see if I can measure tomorrow but do note the seat goes up and down quite a good distance.

Thanks very much. I realised that after I’d posted, but it would still give me a rough idea I guess 🙂

Haven’t measured but I really like how high it can go; I’m only six feet tall so not giant sized but it’s very comfortable.

Haven’t measured but I really like how high it can go; I’m only six feet tall so not giant sized but it’s very comfortable.
The only issue I noticed when at full hight was the review mirror assemble became a blind spot. Have you noticed this?

It’s common - no cars are really designed for tall people that like to sit high up - but not the end of the world.

Only way to check is go into the showroom and try it for yourself. :)

Well I finally made it to my local dealership today and found the car is 10cm lower than the HS PHEV. I had a test drive and ended up signing on the dotted line. I pick up a pre-registered car with 15 miles on the clock next week.
Dynamic Red Trophy long range facelift. 21 days old.

Well I finally made it to my local dealership today and found the car is 10cm lower than the HS PHEV. I had a test drive and ended up signing on the dotted line. I pick up a pre-registered car with 15 miles on the clock next week.
Dynamic Red Trophy long range facelift. 21 days old.
Sounds great! How much did you save by taking one with 15 miles? :)

Well, I collected my car on Saturday and can say that I'm very happy with it.
Strange moving from the HS Phev Exclusive to the MG 5 LR Trophy that it doesn't have the electronic boot (something my wife isn't happy with!). Also, the front passenger seat has a manual adjustment lever instead of the previous electronic adjuster. Other than that though, a lovely car :)

There has been some strange cost cutting decisions with the car.
We can all agree the MG5, and other MG's are not premium brands/models. So to be at the price they are, they will not always have the same premium components or facilities that say a premium brand would have.
So an interesting thought, where would you, or I or any of us have cost cut instead of where they have and maintain the price. No point in raising the price otherwise if it is the same as others we would probably have bought one of the others anyway. :)

We can all agree the MG5, and other MG's are not premium brands/models. So to be at the price they are, they will not always have the same premium components or facilities that say a premium brand would have.
So an interesting thought, where would you, or I or any of us have cost cut instead of where they have and maintain the price. No point in raising the price otherwise if it is the same as others we would probably have bought one of the others anyway. :)
No, we can’t all agree that it’s not a “premium model” — I don’t! Careful when claiming to speak for everyone :)

The Trophy certainly feels premium inside, and especially (doubly so) when compared to other electric cars anywhere near its price range (including the previous MG5). Yes there are a couple of oddities (in fact the aforementioned lack of electric boot and the manual seat adjustment passenger side are the only ones that come to mind — both of which are common optional extras in other brands as the passenger seat doesn’t often need adjusting and the boot lid just has a remote release rather than remote opening), but other than those is there anything that really doesn’t feel premium?

No, we can’t all agree that it’s not a “premium model” — I don’t! Careful when claiming to speak for everyone :)

The Trophy certainly feels premium inside, and especially (doubly so) when compared to other electric cars anywhere near its price range (including the previous MG5). Yes there are a couple of oddities (in fact the aforementioned lack of electric boot and the manual seat adjustment passenger side are the only ones that come to mind — both of which are common optional extras in other brands as the passenger seat doesn’t often need adjusting and the boot lid just has a remote release rather than remote opening), but other than those is there anything that really doesn’t feel premium?
It does feel premium in many respects but MG is not a premium brand in the same way Ford and Vauxhall are not. That title supposedly is reserved for such things as BMW's (why?), Audi, Bentley etc. etc.

There is a difference between a premium / luxury 'feel' and actually being a premium brand. MG is widely reported as being a budget brand, probably due to the comparably more budget friendly prices of it's products.

It does feel premium in many respects but MG is not a premium brand in the same way Ford and Vauxhall are not. That title supposedly is reserved for such things as BMW's (why?), Audi, Bentley etc. etc.

There is a difference between a premium / luxury 'feel' and actually being a premium brand. MG is widely reported as being a budget brand, probably due to the comparably more budget friendly prices of it's products.
It may not be a “premium brand”, but the Trophy is a “premium model” :cool:

It may not be a “premium brand”, but the Trophy is a “premium model” :cool:
Even compared to my previous 68reg Mondeo 2.0 Diesel Titanium the MG5 Trophy is nowhere near as premium and that car cost £24k new (OK it wasn't an EV and prices have increased). The Mondeo was bigger, quieter at speed, had driver and passenger electric seats with memory on drivers side, three heat settings for the seats, The quality of plastics was much better - soft touch on dash and doors and it had real leather seats, armrest and door inserts.

If MG had to cut costs I would have been happy with manual seat adjustment on both front seats but both with height and lumber support and also cloth seats instead of the fake leather. I'm not bothered about electric tailgate although it would have been a nice to have as an extra cost option.

Even compared to my previous 68reg Mondeo 2.0 Diesel Titanium the MG5 Trophy is nowhere near as premium and that car cost £24k new (OK it wasn't an EV and prices have increased). The Mondeo was bigger, quieter at speed, had driver and passenger electric seats with memory on drivers side, three heat settings for the seats, The quality of plastics was much better - soft touch on dash and doors and it had real leather seats, armrest and door inserts.

If MG had to cut costs I would have been happy with manual seat adjustment on both front seats but both with height and lumber support and also cloth seats instead of the fake leather. I'm not bothered about electric tailgate although it would have been a nice to have as an extra cost option.
Having had a Mondeo of that vintage for six months, I have to fundamentally disagree that it was in any way better :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom