Prrring sound

Exdro

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone noticed the odd prrring sound as you drive along in the MGZS? It only lasts for a very short time and sounds a bit like a zip being used. Could it be some sort of relay? It can happen several times during a journey. It is not intrusive or worrying but I am curious as to what it is.

No, it’s when you are travelling at normal speeds and it happens from time to time. If you have the radio on you probably wouldn’t be aware of it.

I sometimes get a funny whirring noise from underneath which seems to be connected with the emergency braking system?

Does it sound like a like a short “Hissing Sound” that lasts about 5 seconds, then stops ?.
You may also hear it with you boot up the car briefly.
If so, I think it maybe the brake accumulator charging up.
The ZS EV does not have the same type of vacuum servo assistance, as a ICE car.

Could be the Air Con Temp sensing thing as this sound is on the ZS ICE Auto and goes away when I switch the AC off. My Wife's Pug 2008 also has a Hissing sound that is barely audible due to its high pitch/frequency, but my kids find it uncomfortable.

I have noticed a strange sound in My ZS when hitting the brake. Occurs when i switch fast from Speed pedal tog brake pedal. Hard to describe the sound but guess it could be a prring sound.
I am wondering if it has to do with the car having problem to decide wheter to use regen or brake discs?
Anyone else with the same sound when braking?

I have noticed a strange sound in My ZS when hitting the brake. Occurs when i switch fast from Speed pedal tog brake pedal. Hard to describe the sound but guess it could be a prring sound.
I am wondering if it has to do with the car having problem to decide wheter to use regen or brake discs?
Anyone else with the same sound when braking?
Tx for all the answers. Not sure if definitive solution yet suggested. Favourite seems to be something to do with brakes. “Whirring” is a good description rather than the “prrring” which is how I described it. I will try it later to see if I can reproduce it to order. I will keep you informed.

Quite often I hear a whirring sound in my car, sounds like an electrical motor running for a few seconds. Occasionally I get that strange grating sound too, which seems to be the brakes priming as mentioned on here before. Neither really concern me.

The whirring will be the vacuum pump topping up the vacuum reservoir for your brake pedal (vacuum assisted braking).
The stabbing thump sounds will be from the ABS Pump in conjunction with the emergency brake system getting ready to fire (It may think somethings a low risk and getting ready, like being to close to a car in line of travel or a large hump in the road).

Only just noticed it today on mine as I rolled up behind a stationary car in a line of traffic. I think it was priming the auto brakes in case I didn't.

The whirring will be the vacuum pump topping up the vacuum reservoir for your brake pedal (vacuum assisted braking).
The stabbing thump sounds will be from the ABS Pump in conjunction with the emergency brake system getting ready to fire (It may think somethings a low risk and getting ready, like being to close to a car in line of travel or a large hump in the road).
Hi @chromeskull .
I did suggest the whirring / purring sound could be this the noise that the OP is hearing in #5.
Charging the brake reservoir, that is.
I forgot about the "Thump" sound it makes as well :ROFLMAO: .
You just get use to it after a while - Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom