Putting a figure on wind resistance

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
After a couple of months of mostly around-town driving with some 100km/h stretches (averaging 13 kWh/100km) I did my first real motorway drive today with a 184 km round trip in my Excite 51 (SE SR).

I still got pretty pleasing efficiency in Eco mode with one-pedal and ACC, with aircon on about half the time each way.

Very interesting that the first leg was into a headwind of about 20 km/h and the return with that as tailwind. So wind direction (which was pretty much the only variable) can have quite an effect - 15.6 kWh/100km versus 14.2 (or 3.98 mi/kWh versus 4.38) - nearly 10% difference.

1701675550409.png

After a couple of months of mostly around-town driving with some 100km/h stretches (averaging 13 kWh/100km) I did my first real motorway drive today with a 184 km round trip in my Excite 51 (SE SR).

I still got pretty pleasing efficiency in Eco mode with one-pedal and ACC, with aircon on about half the time each way.

Very interesting that the first leg was into a headwind of about 20 km/h and the return with that as tailwind. So wind direction (which was pretty much the only variable) can have quite an effect - 15.6 kWh/100km versus 14.2 (or 3.98 mi/kWh versus 4.38) - nearly 10% difference.

View attachment 21984
Altitude also affects it. I get around high 3's-4 mi/kWh on journey to work each day in current weather but journey home is around 2.7. No major hills and seems pretty flat but its a very gradual rise to my town and you wouldn't realize but has an affect on consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
You both may find this interesting:

Altitude also affects it. I get around high 3's-4 mi/kWh on journey to work each day in current weather but journey home is around 2.7. No major hills and seems pretty flat but its a very gradual rise to my town and you wouldn't realize but has an affect on consumption.
Yes, that was another slight variable but as the start and end of the journey was higher elevation it would add a bit more to the difference.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back