Qilin batteries

Cheapevs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all first post. Anyone got any guesses as to when mg will start using the qilin batteries

It'll depend firstly, on price and then availability and then whether there would need to be changes to the infrastructure around installing the current types of battery...

Hi all first post. Anyone got any guesses as to when mg will start using the qilin batteries
In the post you linked to it says....

'The CTP 3.0 batteries, or Qilin, are expected to be mass produced and come on the market in 2023.'

Take it from there.

Well I watched the video and, to me, there are two big takeaways :

1. "Qilin battery will give 1000 kms range" - Oh will it, and in what vehicle? What weight? What powertrain ? NONSENSE. The battery on it's own does not solely determine range of an EV. It is merely a component - an important component I grant you but still just one element.

2. From memory the video claims 255Wh/kg density from the battery 'system', but is that pack density, cell density or what? Also Tesla is currently running 4680 cells which give 270-290Wh/kg so why would SAIC (MG parent company) go for something inferior?

Well I watched the video and, to me, there are two big takeaways :

1. "Qilin battery will give 1000 kms range" - Oh will it, and in what vehicle? What weight? What powertrain ? NONSENSE. The battery on it's own does not solely determine range of an EV. It is merely a component - an important component I grant you but still just one element.

2. From memory the video claims 255Wh/kg density from the battery 'system', but is that pack density, cell density or what? Also Tesla is currently running 4680 cells which give 270-290Wh/kg so why would SAIC (MG parent company) go for something inferior?
Price? 🤷‍♂️

Impressive sounding charge rate of 10-80% in 10minutes though...

I fancy the "condensed matter" one they claim to be working on could be a game changer !

It is interesting to observe that without the developments of the likes of Tesla and the pressures of climate change, electric vehicles would be still be languishing well outside the mainstream. It is a testament to the power of the oil & gas industry that other alternatives have been so shackled.
There have been, and will be are so many different developments in battery and power storage technology in the next few years that it really does feel that the technology is in its infancy.
Over four years my electric cars have gone from 80 miles range to 270, so 1,000 miles in the next four years is entirely likely.
Me, well I just love that my car sounds just like the cars in the Thunderbirds series :)

Agree with Rob. I think what we now know as an EV, will change substantially in the next 10 to 15 years..... an alien would laugh at what we drive today, ..:)

From memory the video claims 255Wh/kg density from the battery 'system', but is that pack density, cell density or what? Also Tesla is currently running 4680 cells which give 270-290Wh/kg so why would SAIC (MG parent company) go for something inferior?
Cost.

That's the biggest driver in the increase in size of battery packs over the last 10 years - Tesla are already under $100/kWh and pushing down further. But energy density isn't improving as quickly so weight is now the limiting factor. The other factor has been the appalling Rapid infrastructure meaning that we tend to oversize our batteries to reduce our reliance on them, and I can see no end to that in the UK anytime soon.

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking as far as battery development is concerned. Getting a new technology from the laboratory to a producible product can stop any idea in it's tracks for one thing. Then to make that into large scale production can take years. Not all small scale processes work economically at the rates needed for EVs to take off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom