Question for Long Range MG5 EV owners!

Johnny 5 is alive

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I just upgraded from a standard to a Long Range MG5 EV and the extra range, boot upgrade and added technology (MG Pilot, Lane Assist etc.) are all nice additions.
My query is that when I rang up to insure it, the database listed it as an "MG-MOTOR UK MG5 EXCLUSIVE
52KWH AUTO" when it is clearly a 61kwh version.
I haven't got the V5 back yet but I think that only shows the output power, not the battery capacity 🤔
The Certificate of Conformity shows the range as 403km (250 miles) and 539.5km "city range" but again it doesn't specify the battery capacity.
I just wondered if any of you fellow Long Range owners had any other documentation showing any evidence of the upgrade? I'm not particularly bothered, even from the insurance valuation point of view as I have a 4-year GAP policy with it, but just curious to know if there's an explanation!
I've been on to MG UK but I really need the V5 back in my name to make any enquiries through them.

Not sure that I have an explanation but when I was looking to insure my new MG 5 LR back in September some of the comparison websites only listed the 52KWH model and I just thought that their databases had not been updated; but some sites did list the higher capacity LR model.

Not sure that I have an explanation but when I was looking to insure my new MG 5 LR back in September some of the comparison websites only listed the 52KWH model and I just thought that their databases had not been updated; but some sites did list the higher capacity LR model.
Thanks for that, I might send LV images of the original sales advert and invoice which both show it as a 61kwh Long Range and see if that is enough to convince them!

Thanks for that, I might send LV images of the original sales advert and invoice which both show it as a 61kwh Long Range and see if that is enough to convince them!
LV definitely have the long range MG5 on their database because that’s who I have my insurance through! Had to change from Darwin to them because Darwin hadn’t upgraded theirs yet and so wouldn’t insure mine!
Speak to them again. Point out that others with the long range insure that model with them and to sort it out! Maybe speak to a supervisor or something. Don’t give up!

On mine when I went to insure it first time they didn't have the LR on file yet (or recognise the plate number) so they put it as thr standard range with a note on the file, then about 2 weeks later I got a letter with a refund as the LR was a lower insurance group and they refunded the difference without any questions from me (cheque just appeared in the post which was nice)

I think the insurance databases are just a few weeks behind but they did seem to catchup for me

That was LV insurance

Is it just the Exclusive that's cheaper? If so, that'll be Pilot I guess. If not, I wonder why they're cheaper?

I think its both models which have pilot isn't it? But yes it's pilot that drops the insurance groups by quite a lot

Oh yeah, you're right of course, I was thinking it was Exclusive only but it's LR only that has Pilot.

Thanks for all the replies and help, I sorted it with LV today by sending them copies of the order form and purchase invoice, both of which had the correct model documented. I subsequently received an updated policy statement (see pic).
I'm sure the Pilot features such as lane assist and adaptive cruise control drive insurance premiums down, along with the reverse sensors, reversing camera and dash cam I have fitted.
Thanks again and all the best for 2022 to you all! 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211231-115246_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20211231-115246_Gmail.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 96
As you mentioned dash cam. Some insurance companies have started to include an extra line that basically equates to. "if you have a dash cam installed, and it proves you were not at fault, we'll waive the policy excess"

I spotted 'dashcam' as a line on one of my weekend car policies and queried it as I thought it was a requirement or something, surprised to see it just works in your favour.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom