Question Speed sign recognition

Norhund

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi there and greetings from Oslo. Really glad I found this Forum.

I bought the metallic red MG EHS Exclusive about 6 weeks ago and for the most part I am really happy with it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how I can set the program so that the camera recognizes the speed limit signs. At the moment I think it is giving me old GPS information, such as 30 kmh on a 100 kmh limit motorway. It is certainly annoying and useless information especially, when it says 100 in an 80 zone. Norwegian speeding fines are world record breakers.

Thanks!

Otherwise I love all the tech that comes with it, especially for the price. Though I am not impressed with the car speakers. They certainly cut the cost there.

Hi there and greetings from Oslo. Really glad I found this Forum.

I bought the metallic red MG EHS Exclusive about 6 weeks ago and for the most part I am really happy with it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how I can set the program so that the camera recognizes the speed limit signs. At the moment I think it is giving me old GPS information, such as 30 kmh on a 100 kmh limit motorway. It is certainly annoying and useless information especially, when it says 100 in an 80 zone. Norwegian speeding fines are world record breakers.

Thanks!

Otherwise I love all the tech that comes with it, especially for the price. Though I am not impressed with the car speakers. They certainly cut the cost there.
The one thing I have found is that if you pass a slip road and the slip road speed limit sign for the slip road is near the Dual carriageway/ motorway the camera picks it up and keeps that speed on the dash till another speed limit sign is passed on the dual carriageway.

I find it picks up roadworks signs so must be camera based, and not GPS. However this does mean that in the UK a national limit is different dual carriageway/ single carriageway, and it sees the same sign, so gives the wrong limit some times.

Mine has a mind of it’s own works one minute then not at all very frustrating.on a different issue why does the back window screen washer goes upwards and not downwards first car I have had that does this " 😕

Thanks for the response :)

I will say that even when I pass clearly marked speed limit signs, it can still show the wrong speed. It would be interesting to know where this wrong information is coming from and if it is possible to turn it off?

Unfortunately the speed assist camera doesn't work 100% accurately. It sometimes picks up side road signs ,but normally if I see a speed sign , it does as well . The satnav is only as good as the day the data in it was programmed, so it is out of date if speeds change. So in the end there isn't a system that you can rely on 100% to be accurate.

Unfortunately the speed assist camera doesn't work 100% accurately. It sometimes picks up side road signs ,but normally if I see a speed sign , it does as well . The satnav is only as good as the day the data in it was programmed, so it is out of date if speeds change. So in the end there isn't a system that you can rely on 100% to be accurate.
I can say there are definitely no side road signs visible on the motorway as I drive past signs clearly marked 100kmh.

I know it is not just the MG that suffers from this issue. I was reading the other day about a Tesla driver who was fined 10 000 Norwegian kroner about 900 pounds sterling for following the speed limit shown on his dashboard.

I have now found a way to turn it off, I really do think this is a safety issue manufactures should look into and fix. We need to be able to trust the technology.if we are going to use and rely upon it.

I still love the car though :)

Yes it's not good . I suppose in the end it's what criteria does the camera / AI look for to define it as speed limit sign . Obviously the camera is seeing something that fits this criteria , hence showing a wrong speed limit.
In the UK the speed signs are round , I assume it's a European standard .

I had something similar when on the A1M last week. The camera picked up a 50mph sign on a slip road which had roadworks on it. It then flashed continuously for a long time until the camera saw another sign.

The ZS is the same. Speed sign recognition thinks National speed limit is 60mph regardless of the road you are on - it doesn’t have the sophistication to link to gps and satnav to determine the type of road. I’ve learnt to ignor the national speed limit sign flashing when on a 70mph road.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom