Radio Acts With A Mind Of It’s Own!

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Several times recently my radio, when I’ve switched on, is playing FM channels and not the World Service on the DAB frequencies.I always leave it on World Sevice on DAB and never on an FM station, rarely listening to FM at all.
Is there anyone who has also suffered this strange occurrence?

Several times recently my radio, when I’ve switched on, is playing FM channels and not the World Service on the DAB frequencies.I always leave it on World Sevice on DAB and never on an FM station, rarely listening to FM at all.
If you were to accidentally hit the music button next to the volume knob it would change from DAB to FM.

If you were to accidentally hit the music button next to the volume knob it would change from DAB to FM.
I would never have changed the volume immediately prior to switching the car off so your theory seems very unlikely.

I'm still waiting for my MG5, but...

Currently having an MG6 I have seen/heard this happen if the DAB receiver has been unable to "find" any DAB signal.

In my local town there are a number of known DAB "not-spots"; driving through them the radio will often automatically switch to the station's FM transmitter, quite disconcerting since the signal processing delay for FM is nearly nil, whereas for DAB it can be several seconds, leading to either a "jump forward" in e.g., the music being heard, or a sudden repeat of what has just been heard as the link to DAB is re-established.

Since you seem to be being switched to a "different" FM station (i.e., not World Service) I wonder, is that station available on FM or is it DAB only?

I'm still waiting for my MG5, but...

Currently having an MG6 I have seen/heard this happen if the DAB receiver has been unable to "find" any DAB signal.

In my local town there are a number of known DAB "not-spots"; driving through them the radio will often automatically switch to the station's FM transmitter, quite disconcerting since the signal processing delay for FM is nearly nil, whereas for DAB it can be several seconds, leading to either a "jump forward" in e.g., the music being heard, or a sudden repeat of what has just been heard as the link to DAB is re-established.

Since you seem to be being switched to a "different" FM station (i.e., not World Service) I wonder, is that station available on FM or is it DAB only?
World Service is only available on MW or on DAB. I got hooked on it many years whilst living overseas in several places and travelling extensively through Africa. Getting the footie results on a Saturday evening was eagerly awaited every week no matter where I was. WS got in my blood! My last car, an MB B180 amazingly did not have DAB radio! A penny-pinching measure that I didn’t realise until after I had bought it. Just one of many reasons why I got rid of it and before I bought the MG5, I made sure it had DAB and received WS!
Thanks for that explanation!

Could it be you hit the Src button on the steering wheel?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom