Radio can not be switched off

GeoffJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've read that other owners have not been able to switch off the radio and I have experienced the same issue. The dealer suggested pushing the silver button in the centre and just below the infotainment display. This will switch off the infotainment display so that only the time is shown, but does at least cut the sound to the radio. If you want to use the Navigation system, the radio will come on again. However, I have found that if you turn the volume button to low or zero, the voice control on the Navigation system will still be audible at the normal level. Clearly this is a workaround at best, and I hope MG can provide an update in the future so that the radio can be switched off in the conventional way.

I've read that other owners have not been able to switch off the radio and I have experienced the same issue. The dealer suggested pushing the silver button in the centre and just below the infotainment display. This will switch off the infotainment display so that only the time is shown, but does at least cut the sound to the radio. If you want to use the Navigation system, the radio will come on again. However, I have found that if you turn the volume button to low or zero, the voice control on the Navigation system will still be audible at the normal level. Clearly this is a workaround at best, and I hope MG can provide an update in the future so that the radio can be switched off in the conventional way.
There are two mute buttons, one on the infotainment and the other on the steering wheel. Either will turn off the sound from Radio. The silver button on the jog dial places the infotainment system on standby mode.
Maybe you are assuming (based on the fact that you always see station name on Home Screen) that Radio is ON, but that is not the case. As soon as you hit mute Radio is turned off. The Home Screen is simply showing your last selected Radio station.
Unlike conventional systems where you have DAB/FM/USB physical buttons along with a mute, you do not need need so many here. You can switch sources on touch screen.
A bit of learning curve when we switch to different interface...

Yes the Sat Nav volume sometimes turns itself off. Today I had to go into setting and switch on the voice instructions. No way had I turned it off.

I'm struggling to figure out what the issue is here. If a radio station falls in the woods and nobody hears it, does it may a sound?

My previous Citroen was the same; the radio was always "on", but if you didn't want it, it was basically just muted...

It's important for control freaks like me to know whether the radio and all associated circuitry has actually been switched off or whether it's just power to the speakers that has been switched off :).

Seriously though, all cars are like it now.

What I hate (in another car that I drive) is that the radio always defaults to ON when you start the car up. So you hit the mute knob in order to stop your ears from hurting and it takes about 3seconds to mute, so you hit the mute knob again thinking you hadn't hit it the first time. This can go on for some time. Radios are far too devious IMHO.

I agree, I drive a rental atmo and the darned radio/media player always comes on when I start the engine regardless of whether I've switched if off before.
Also bugs me no end that I have to start the engine to open a window, thankfully this is not an MG5.

I agree, I drive a rental atmo and the darned radio/media player always comes on when I start the engine regardless of whether I've switched if off before.
Also bugs me no end that I have to start the engine to open a window, thankfully this is not an MG5.
The other annoying one is with the stop/start in an automatic. You pull up on the footbrake intending to stop the car and get out. The engine stops (due to the stop start). Great so far - it's read my mind - it knows what I'm thinking and planning - I love all this modern mind-reading technology. Then it ruins it all by re-starting the engine when you put it in Park. So you have switch the engine off again with the button provided. Anyone outside the car must think you're a lunatic by constantly stopping and starting the engine (well, I am a lunatic, but that's a separate issue). :)

The other annoying one is with the stop/start in an automatic. You pull up on the footbrake intending to stop the car and get out. The engine stops (due to the stop start). Great so far - it's read my mind - it knows what I'm thinking and planning - I love all this modern mind-reading technology. Then it ruins it all by re-starting the engine when you put it in Park. So you have switch the engine off again with the button provided. Anyone outside the car must think you're a lunatic by constantly stopping and starting the engine (well, I am a lunatic, but that's a separate issue). :)
Luckily my previous automatic ZS did not have stop/start. However, the manual version did.

On the ZS the satnav, music and telephone volumes are independent as I recall.
Yes but they are all linked, if you are playing the radio and are using the satnav the volume will dip on the radio to allow you to hear the satnav also when you are on the phone the music will dip, I believe the satnav volume remains the same when on the phone also you can only adjust the volume for the satnav when it is speaking.

My workaround on the ZST is to put a USB drive into the spare port with MP3 files of silence. The system remembers what you were playing last and starts playing the silent MP3 file when you start the car. It was the first thing I noticed with the infotainment system. You must always have an audio source, and even if you mute it, it will come back on after using voice commands or taking a phone call. Very annoying and a simple fix for them would be to have an additional source of "No Audio" that you could select, rather than losing a USB port

My workaround on the ZST is to put a USB drive into the spare port with MP3 files of silence. The system remembers what you were playing last and starts playing the silent MP3 file when you start the car. It was the first thing I noticed with the infotainment system. You must always have an audio source, and even if you mute it, it will come back on after using voice commands or taking a phone call. Very annoying and a simple fix for them would be to have an additional source of "No Audio" that you could select, rather than losing a USB port
I had a look at the new ZS EV with the updated infotainment system, and it seems you can't even turn off the radio by pressing the silver button or switching the whole EV system off. The salesman told me it only goes off when you lock the doors.

App icons along the bottom of the screen slide left revealing a power off button for the head unit.
Not sure if that's what you're getting at though as it does the whole unit not just radio.

It's important for control freaks like me to know whether the radio and all associated circuitry has actually been switched off or whether it's just power to the speakers that has been switched off :).

Seriously though, all cars are like it now.

What I hate (in another car that I drive) is that the radio always defaults to ON when you start the car up. So you hit the mute knob in order to stop your ears from hurting and it takes about 3seconds to mute, so you hit the mute knob again thinking you hadn't hit it the first time. This can go on for some time. Radios are far too devious IMHO.
My ZS magically turns on the radio etc but only sometimes & always when I startup the car from "cold".
I normally run with the infotainment switched off (long press on silver volume button) but very regularly it switches itself on at startup & needs turning off again (quick press on silver volume button, then long press on silver volume button).

I think it's phoning home 👍

There are two mute buttons, one on the infotainment and the other on the steering wheel. Either will turn off the sound from Radio. The silver button on the jog dial places the infotainment system on standby mode.
Maybe you are assuming (based on the fact that you always see station name on Home Screen) that Radio is ON, but that is not the case. As soon as you hit mute Radio is turned off. The Home Screen is simply showing your last selected Radio station.
Unlike conventional systems where you have DAB/FM/USB physical buttons along with a mute, you do not need need so many here. You can switch sources on touch screen.
A bit of learning curve when we switch to different interface...
This might help

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom