Radio Ga Ga?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all. As you may have seen on this week's podcast, I'm struggling to see how I simply switch the radio On & Off.:unsure:

But - the car has taken this issue out of my hands and has taken over on its own, as my radio is now auto switching on and off as it wishes without any input from me!! Is this a known issue? đź“»

Are you touching your phone at the time. If I touch my phone to wake it up the infotainment system immediately switches to BT music mode, pressing SRC on the wheel switches it back. Obviously I'm not driving at the time, usually paying for Maccy Ds

My car (MK2 ZS EV) is going into the dealership on Friday and this is one of the issues I am getting them to look at. I think it is down to having a phone connected via bluetooth and the infotainment unit receiving some sort of signal telling it to give priority to bluetooth... but this doesn't coincide specifically with getting a notification and is seemingly random.

Isn't it just a long press of the home button ?

After all the radio issues on my 2022 Facelift MG ZS EV LR Trophy Connect, and MG UK requesting a data download from the car by my dealership, Richmond Motors, which are not dissimilar to yours, I got a phone call this afternoon to say there is a software update now available.
It is going in on Monday to have that done.
MG UK initially said it was a bluetooth problem with Apple CarPlay but the dealership guys were savvy enough to see that when the phone is plugged in the Bluetooth icon goes off.
This is what it should do. Apple and Android do not allow bluetooth and cable connection at the same time in their protocols!

I'll let you know if the radio behaves itself after the update.
It is bloody annoying listening to something interesting on Radio 4 to have the radio go mute and totally unresponsive!
It would be nice to have Carplay work without going through a black screen and home reset, dropping out of Carplay when using Waze to navigate!!
The infotainment software is quite shite!
If you can buy a Skoda Enyaq or Cupra Born and have wireless Carplay which is rock solid, SAIC should be sitting up and taking note that is IS possible and is easy with a cabled connection!

Are you touching your phone at the time. If I touch my phone to wake it up the infotainment system immediately switches to BT music mode, pressing SRC on the wheel switches it back. Obviously I'm not driving at the time, usually paying for Maccy Ds
Thanks @petersneddon. I was initially going to dismiss your suggestion, but I noticed yesterday that I received a text message and my radio switched off. Stranger and stranger!!!

After all the radio issues on my 2022 Facelift MG ZS EV LR Trophy Connect, and MG UK requesting a data download from the car by my dealership, Richmond Motors, which are not dissimilar to yours, I got a phone call this afternoon to say there is a software update now available.
It is going in on Monday to have that done.
MG UK initially said it was a bluetooth problem with Apple CarPlay but the dealership guys were savvy enough to see that when the phone is plugged in the Bluetooth icon goes off.
This is what it should do. Apple and Android do not allow bluetooth and cable connection at the same time in their protocols!

I'll let you know if the radio behaves itself after the update.
It is bloody annoying listening to something interesting on Radio 4 to have the radio go mute and totally unresponsive!
It would be nice to have Carplay work without going through a black screen and home reset, dropping out of Carplay when using Waze to navigate!!
The infotainment software is quite sh*te!
If you can buy a Skoda Enyaq or Cupra Born and have wireless Carplay which is rock solid, SAIC should be sitting up and taking note that is IS possible and is easy with a cabled connection!
Thanks @IanMG It's just like living through the Beeps in my mk1 ZS EV a couple of years ago!! But the Comfort 2 update got rid of them! Maybe this update will sort out the radio issues.

Just picked the car up and they couldn't find/replicate the fault.

Just found out by playing around though that you can disable audio over Bluetooth and it DOES NOT affect audio over android auto so I will try that and see how we get on.

Driving listening to the radio via bluetooth (Radio Caroline streaming on 4G) the radio simply reverted to Radio4 but could not be tuned to any other station although the display was showing Radio 2 3 etc it simply kept playing Radio4 Also the Mute button stopped working.
On the return Journey the Radio was fine but the Mute button still not working??
What has happened?? how do I reset this unit Its a pain the radio comming on by default and not bieng able to mute it is rubbish only solution now is to turn down the volume to nothing.
The software on the info-tainment system is not great having to turn off the car and restart just to reset the radio is not acceptable.

Push and hold the the physical home button till it reboots you can do this when driving too but you will get some bongs and warnings on dash but soon gos it's just part of the reboot process

Thank You @N2STY I will give it a try. However it appears to have sorted itself out in the meantime.
It has likely to have sorted itself out, because when you close down the car completely, then the next time you boot up the car, it has automatically reset the head unit.
@N2STY suggestion, it a great "On The Move" fix for many of the faults on the info unit.
Holding down the far left "Home" button down ( for about 10 seconds ) until the info screen turns black and closes down, then release the home button.
It will then automatically reboot to the "MG" logo screen.
See this as a master reboot of the info unit if you like.
Last week, while sitting waiting to pick up our grand children from school, I noticed that the symbols that display the heater fan speed and the required temp figures, had suddenly been blanked out ?.
Hard reset of the info unit ( with the car still in READY mode ) and when it rebooted, both readings suddenly reappeared back on the display.
A glitch in the system.
It was a similar situation on the ZS EV Gen 1 info unit, where it would require a manual reboot from time to time.
The head unit in the Gen 2 has been improved a LOT over the Gen 1, but still has a few "Bug's" affecting it.
The Gen 1 system was a windows based system, but the Gen 2 system is running on the Android based system.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom