Range disappointment 2022 model

TassieDi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've just done my first longer range trip in my brand new 2022 Essence model, Australia. I wasn't really expecting to get the full quoted 320km range, but I also wasn't expecting to find ABRP telling me my range would be less than 200km!!!!
I'm going to do some more test drives, checking the estimates given by ABRP against reality, but this is a bit disappointing.

In the UK with the ZS EV TC LR, my average range on a full battery has been 430km.

In the summer on long runs at max 105kph I get around 450km range.

You range is determined mainly by your driving style. In addition, winter weather [circa 5 degC and below], will reduce range by up to 30%

I have the standard range model, with quoted range 320km. Just one long drive so far, so not much data yet. But I drove conservatively, usually under 100 kph, the temps were about 15deg C, and winds weren't high. There were plenty of hills though, Tasmania is pretty hilly.

Remember a good balance charge should improve things and the gom on the standard range will be a bit crappy as the voltage don't change much between 90% to 30% it's a lot easier for the long range bms to know the state of charge

One way to test standard range after a long drive give the car a full charge then if you have a smart meter see how many kW you put back in and compare that with the size of the battery you may find your battery was not as low as you think
A bit like 30to25% lasts longer than 70to50% that's a exaggeration but you may understand?

I have the standard range model, with quoted range 320km. Just one long drive so far, so not much data yet. But I drove conservatively, usually under 100 kph, the temps were about 15deg C, and winds weren't high. There were plenty of hills though, Tasmania is pretty hilly.
Yep, hills absolutely kill range.

Are you sure ABRP has updated their info for the new ZS EV? That range looks like what it would quote for the old version with 44kWh battery.

Even with a hilly trip you'd expect to be using about 20kWh/100km or less which would give you a range of at least 255km.

I've just done my first longer range trip in my brand new 2022 Essence model, Australia. I wasn't really expecting to get the full quoted 320km range, but I also wasn't expecting to find ABRP telling me my range would be less than 200km!!!!
I'm going to do some more test drives, checking the estimates given by ABRP against reality, but this is a bit disappointing.
Different car (MG4) but my range was seriously knckered by wind one day last week. Thankfully the wind died down in the afternoon and my return trip ended up with around 3.9 mi/kWh, in the morning it was around 2.6 mi/kWh. This was set to normal with regen set to 3.

I have been driving in eco for a couple of days and get around 5 mi/kWh in town under 30 mph, and 4.1 mi/kWh at around 50-60 mph on country lanes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure ABRP has updated their info for the new ZS EV? That range looks like what it would quote for the old version with 44kWh battery.

Even with a hilly trip you'd expect to be using about 20kWh/100km or less which would give you a range of at least 255km.
Thanks Chris. The app does name the right vehicle. But its estimates do seem to be overly cautious compared with real trips. I will keep collecting data.
In my frustration I did think of linking ABRP with the car's computer but I'm unable to connect via the OBD port as that is being used by Car Next Door (a peer to peer carshare program here in Oz). [I offer my car to share with others in my residential apartment community via Car Next Door]. So I will just have to Keep It Simple I suppose :)

Thanks Chris. The app does name the right vehicle. But its estimates do seem to be overly cautious compared with real trips. I will keep collecting data.
In my frustration I did think of linking ABRP with the car's computer but I'm unable to connect via the OBD port as that is being used by Car Next Door (a peer to peer carshare program here in Oz). [I offer my car to share with others in my residential apartment community via Car Next Door]. So I will just have to Keep It Simple I suppose :)
It might be worth checking all the settings in your ABRP app. There's lots of tweaks to get as close to the real performance of your car. Probably the most important one in this instance is the 'Reference consumption' which you can set to whatever your own experience is. It measures it in Wh/km and I have it set to 190 for highway driving. It also lets you factor in temperature, rain, load etc which effect the range.

Car Next Door is a great thing. Good on you for sharing the EV experience.

Beaut! Thanks to you Chris, I have now discovered the Advanced Settings box, and realised how to fix a number of annoying features. Yes, the Reference Consumption was set too high. Also the starting SOC was too low. Now we're cooking!

ABRP can err on the negative side of estimates in my experience. Their baseline ref consumption estimates always seem high to me. At least based on the 2 EVs I v'e driven.

You need to get your own real world experience first before calling it.

I use ABRP with the OBD2 dongle and it works out range from live data gathered while driving.

The important figure to set correctly is the reference consumption. With my driving style for longer trips it has determined that value to be 271Wh/mile. This value can be manually entered. I have also set my maximum speed to 65mph, another important parameter.

Screenshot_20221010_235717_ABRP.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom