Range Extender

apparently you can get one from the factory. It’s called the mg hs.
However wouldn’t the additional costs obliterate any savings made?
But a very good question nonetheless, would be great to know.

Upvote 0
I think it's possible, I'm trying to find out if anybody has done it or can do it. I run an electric taxi company and one of my cars is a ZS EV
Possible, yes, with enough knowledge, time, money, and effort! No one has done it yet though and are unlikely to during the 7 year warranty period as it would guarantee warranty invalidation.

Upvote 0
Possible, yes, with enough knowledge, time, money, and effort! No one has done it yet though and are unlikely to during the 7 year warranty period as it would guarantee warranty invalidation.
My warranty will expire in about 1 year anyway. I have seen it done with a Nissan Leaf although that is older than the ZS.

Upvote 0
My warranty will expire in about 1 year anyway. I have seen it done with a Nissan Leaf although that is older than the ZS.
If memory serves me right it was a battery upgrade which replaced the old 24 kw in the original leaf with a newer 60kw one. But that was battery swap. Unless you refer to a US YouTube video where a chap had added cells to the boot, I am struggling to find it on you tube. That would mean that there is no boot space. Wouldn’t that limit space as a taxi?

Upvote 0
Some 1st gen EVs have had extra batteries added for more range.
That's not what a range extender is. A range extender is an ICE engine that is used as a generator to top up the battery when it drops below a certain SOC.
The Vauxhall Ampera was the first car sold in the UK with a range extender. BMW made a range extender i3 when it first came out using a 650cc 2 cylinder bike engine.

Interedtingly Mazda is soon going to be introducing a range extender to the MX-30 using a small rotary engine.

Upvote 0
Yes, I read about Mazda - very strange - produce a small battery car and say it’s the sweet spot for EV’s then introduce a range extender. I had one of the first i3 range extenders.

Upvote 0
If memory serves me right it was a battery upgrade which replaced the old 24 kw in the original leaf with a newer 60kw one. But that was battery swap. Unless you refer to a US YouTube video where a chap had added cells to the boot, I am struggling to find it on you tube. That would mean that there is no boot space. Wouldn’t that limit space as a taxi?
Hello, yes it would however there is a fair bit of space in the boot where the tools are kept. I don’t know what size the batteries are. Anyway I think my question has been answered that no one has done it. Your idea of a battery upgrade is a good one, maybe MG will have one at some point. Do you know if the Marvel R will be sold in this country?

Upvote 0
Hello, yes it would however there is a fair bit of space in the boot where the tools are kept. I don’t know what size the batteries are. Anyway I think my question has been answered that no one has done it. Your idea of a battery upgrade is a good one, maybe MG will have one at some point. Do you know if the Marvel R will be sold in this country?
I don’t think there are any plans as yet but it will be a mistake on the part of MG if they don’t.

Upvote 0
I don’t think there are any plans as yet but it will be a mistake on the part of MG if they don’t.
What has happend to the mg zs ev 419km car launched in india how is it we aren't even getting that unit let alone Marvel R...Pull your finger out MG ...

Upvote 0
There's plenty of space (from underneath videos seen) behind the existing battery back underneath the car to add some extra battery cells....
Would need "plumbing" in though to the existing pack.

I had a look for portable batteries, though maybe could put it in the boot, then at work plug it into the normal charger port to effectively transfer the power to the cars battery. Could really do with an extra 5-10kWh for my use in winter.
They're expensive!!!!
It's talked about a lot - $100 per 1kWh for lithium battery. But when you're talking about a complete system it's way more expensive. If only they'd have put another 10kWh in at the factory and then maybe it would've only cost another £1k.

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom