Range Reminder

Deleted member 9152

Reaction score
Travelling from the Gridserve charging point off the A47 near Norwich. Norfolk to Oldham near Manchester might have got us home if it would only give us 100% charge. But no, just 95%. Driving on eco and kern 2 keeping bellow 65mph (which was difficult) the range reminder told us we had 33 miles to spare before it ran dry, then 40 miles, but when we stopped at Moto Blyth on the A1 there was a queue for the ONE CHARGING POINT. So, trusting the range reminder we allegedly had about 25 miles of electric left before arriving home. Not so. We arrived home with just 3% and — miles on the screen. And has anyone noticed the cost of a kw has gone up from 49p to 64p since August bank holiday. The weekend trip of 590 miles has cost us dear. Was it worth the change over from diesel. Well, do not trust the range reminder before we drift off into another subject.

I find mine is fairly accurate on eco, kers 3, and staying below 60mph, but doing constant 70mph on the motorway recently I lost 40 miles range in a 150 mile journey. I would be guided more by the battery percentage, the range indicator is colloquially known as the "Guess-O-Meter" for a reason!

Most rapid charger prices have gone up some more than most.
Osprey is currently £1.
The GOM is just that but learns how you drive butcas above battery percentage is better I look at 2 miles per 1%

Most rapid charger prices have gone up some more than most.
Osprey is currently £1.
I know. I have sacked them. At Be.EV this last 2 hours (free car parking) at 7kwh and 46p as a member. Plenty of time to read the posts. lol.

Was staying at a hotel near Grimsby over the weekend, 4 Zappi 7kW chargers free to patrons. I don't suppose the beer was cheap but a couple of hours nursing an orange and lemonade and reading a book could probably be cost effective if you have the time.

On the journey back from Grimsby the GOM started out saying we had 63 miles more than needed to complete the trip according to the iPhone Sat Nav. It rose to about 74 half way back and we arrived with 70 to spare. Trip was mostly within a few mph of the speed limits apart from a few stretches in Thetford Forest stuck behind horse boxes followed by a squirt on the accelerator to pass.

The GOM is hugely unreliable as we all know and bases it's guess on our previous driving. If doing that trip from Norwich to Oldham, reset the accumulated trip before setting off, it will then estimate based on your current journey, not past journeys.

Rapid charging slows down as the battery gets 'full' so it's pretty pointless to bother above 90%, and mostly the overall journey is quicker if you stop at 80% or below. If you want to charge to 100% and have plenty of time then use AC which is much cheaper.

For your particular journey you would have just needed a 5 minute 'zap and dash' stop at any time so you will have had many charging options. A single charger site was a poor choice.

The estimated range cannot possibly predict your journey. Longer journeys are usually at higher speeds which reduce efficiency. I never even look at the guess it comes up with, I just look at the percentage and observe how it's dropping as the miles pass. I aim for 2 miles per 1% in my MG5 SR most of the time and adjust my speed accordingly.

Rapid charging slows down as the battery gets 'full' so it's pretty pointless to bother above 90%, and mostly the overall journey is quicker if you stop at 80% or below. If you want to charge to 100% and have plenty of time then use AC which is much cheaper.

For your particular journey you would have just needed a 5 minute 'zap and dash' stop at any time so you will have had many charging options. A single charger site was a poor choice.

The estimated range cannot possibly predict your journey. Longer journeys are usually at higher speeds which reduce efficiency. I never even look at the guess it comes up with, I just look at the percentage and observe how it's dropping as the miles pass. I aim for 2 miles per 1% in my MG5 SR most of the time and adjust my speed accordingly.
I also work on 2 miles per 1% it seems to work out okay on my MG5LR.
I always zero my gom before a long journey.

Does the original sat nav say anything related to the state of charge upon arrival over your trip? GOM is useless in any car. The way tesla has implemented this gives them huge credit.
1666273990469.png

From experience this is always very accurate. When I get my MG5 I will check if with the ODB dongle plugged in and using abetterrouteplanner on longer trips I would also be able to get an estimation like this.
1666274234477.png

It helps that Tesla know where all the Superchargers are and if they are working/how busy they are. Slightly more difficult with multiple random chargers networks all over the place. ABRP will try and help with the aid of a subscription and an OBD.

Does the original sat nav say anything related to the state of charge upon arrival over your trip? GOM is useless in any car. The way tesla has implemented this gives them huge credit.
View attachment 12025

From experience this is always very accurate. When I get my MG5 I will check if with the ODB dongle plugged in and using abetterrouteplanner on longer trips I would also be able to get an estimation like this.
View attachment 12026
Too technical for me.

A single charge was not a poor choice for a vehicle that says Long Range. Bad advertising.

A single charge was not a poor choice for a vehicle that says Long Range. Bad advertising.
I don't think you actually read my post, did you?
'Long Range' is relative. 60kWh will get you somewhere between 180 and 270 miles depending on various factors. I'm not sure what advert you saw.

Driving an EV long distance requires a bit of planning. Every anecdote about poor charging infrastructure begins with not figuring out the charging stops in advance. Charging to 100% is not the issue.

Too technical for me.
Too technical or no planning on long trips? Gom will never be accurate. So for me utilising all the range is essential in long distance travel. You will get higher charging speeds with low states of charge. So on long distance travel go deep in the battery and charge until 60 ish percent to get on your destination as fast as possible.

Just in case you haven't seen this before, here is the information MG published on their web site, regarding range to driving style for the MG5 LR.
1666538673694.jpeg
Further explanation is given in the small print, but the main table shows the wide variation in range that can be expected subject to where you're driving and the prevailing conditions: 190 miles on motorways to 344 miles in slow moving traffic. A difference of 154 miles!

344 miles in slow traffic would take a lot longer than 190 motorway miles. So think of it as extending the pleasure of EV driving.

Or just ignore the official figures, or the GOM figures, or what anyone else is getting, drive how you want and charge when needed, like I do :)

Of course, you do need to plan for longer journeys in advance...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom