• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Range today

shawncullen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Finally got to take my ZS for a drive today. A 22.9 mile commute to Swansea Bay. Car started at 209 miles in Eco mode on the GOM (no heater on, heated seats on, CarPlay on).

Got to Swansea with 177 miles on GOM with one bar gone on battery.

Drove home with 149 miles left on GOM and 2 bars gone on battery. Averaged 4.1 Miles per kWh. See photo.

Some motorway, some 50 mph limits etc. Total time taken 36 minutes - I don’t think that is so bad. Comfortable enjoyable drive and used ACC for most of it.

Temperature between 5 and 7 degrees.

Very happy with that!

Shawn
C0A19AC7-DD43-4BD4-97C8-E330692363D4.jpeg

Finally got to take my ZS for a drive today. A 22.9 mile commute to Swansea Bay. Car started at 209 miles in Eco mode on the GOM (no heater on, heated seats on, CarPlay on).

Drove home with 149 miles left on GOM and 2 bars gone on battery. Averaged 4.1 Miles per kWh. See photo.

Some motorway, some 50 mph limits etc. Total time taken 36 minutes - I don’t think that is so bad. Comfortable enjoyable drive and used ACC for most of it.

Very happy with that!

Shawn View attachment 1582
That’s good well done, agree that’s how it should be.

Very happy with that!

Shawn

So in layman's terms you lost 60 miles on the GOM for a 46 mile total trip. On the face of it therefore 209 miles starting point looks unrealistic and unhelpful.

Alternatively....
Lost 2 bars approx. 22% (am I right ?) for 46 miles giving range of approx. .... 209 miles.

I give up confused :)

So in layman's terms you lost 60 miles on the GOM for a 46 mile total trip. On the face of it therefore 209 miles starting point looks unrealistic and unhelpful.

Alternatively....
Lost 2 bars approx. 22% (am I right ?) for 46 miles giving range of approx. .... 209 miles.

I give up confused :)
Don’t forget that the GOM is also based on historical driving and therefore adjusts during your driving, impacts are external temperatures, heating, fans, lights, windscreen wipers, speed, type of roads and therefore there are so many variables, which is why it’s called a GOM guess o meter. That said and from my experiences the lower the GOM goes the more it gets in tune with the days events and conditions and subsequently it become more in tune with the current trip and becomes much more accurate at the lower end; that the important bit so that you don’t run out.

That makes our winter range look great!
Precisely, a lot have been complaining about the MG and the winter range, but it’s now an MG problem as even the top manufacturers like VW are having problems with range; far worse than what we get.
I understand we’ve had the bigger impact from BMS, but our losses are nothing in comparison to being reported in this YouTube video.

I had to drive to Blackpool from manchester today and back for work first time on long distance on way back had to stop at lidle as needed fast charge gutted journey was 52 mile either way I was showing 186 mile before setting of down to 9% at after 92 miles

I had to drive to Blackpool from manchester today and back for work first time on long distance on way back had to stop at lidle as needed fast charge gutted journey was 52 mile either way I was showing 186 mile before setting of down to 9% at after 92 miles
When did you purchase the car and have you recently had the new BMS update?

I watched a vid by petrol ped who was driving an Audi E tron. As he set off it gave him a range of 180miles, he wasn't impressed. In all, the MG isn't the worst, it seems, nor the best we know, but it's holding its own.

That is exactly the distance my wife is doing to work 3 days a week. Now the temperature is over 4c she can make it safely with some heating on. Most of her journey is motorway, average 42mph.
When it was minus stupid figures it wasn't really a safe distance.
You still need to be careful, ECO, don't go over 70mph I would suggest.
Do not have the heating on high - and on ECO do not have the front window demise button pressed otherwise it overrides "eco" and enables max heat power. Start with nothing on, turn on heating etc and watch the Amps figure change. For reference 15Amps is 6.5kW (16% of your full battery) used in heating every hour it's on.

I too had an interesting day- discovered I had forgotten to switch on the charger last night. Annoyingly I hadn't charged at work yesterday, so was quite low already (I suffered badly from buggy BMS, and have recovered to 441V thus far). With 59m on GOM I was unsure if it would be enough for my 26m journey. I set off knowing I could rapid charge at 12m, or visit Tesco at 21m. Following the 2m trip through town, I set ACC to 55 mph (geez that is boring). Heating one blob, seats off, outside temp 9°C. I actually managed to get to work with 16m left. Power limited to 55% if flooring. Voltage showing 389V. I connected to podpoint, claimed my charge, and went to work. Returned to car 7 hours later to find podpoint had kicked out after the initial 15 minute period. Moved to local BP rapid charger, taking 8.2kWh in 13 minutes, at a cost of £3.46. This gave me 64m in N which I felt confident would do the 26m home, using 2 blobs of heat, and ACC set to 65 mph. I arrived home with 27m showing, and can confirm that the car would deliver 100% power in all modes. SUMMARY: GOM consumed 43m over 26m journey. Power good (recovered since BMS update). Car able to do 90m on full charge, with temp approx 9°C. Journey at 55mph rewarded 3.5m/kWh. Same journey at 70mph gives 2.8m/kWh.

Last edited:
This was the trip details after arriving home 20kw had been added from fast charge on way back and this is what is left

65 mile acc on motorway and low heat worrying as i would of thought 104 mile round trip would of allowed for some of the heat etc even on low

Charging now on granny charger will check voltage etc when fully charged

Also will speak to service on Monday to get car checked purchased car early december
20210219_195228.jpg

I too had an interesting day- discovered I had forgotten to switch on the charger last night. Annoyingly I hadn't charged at work yesterday, so was quite low already (I suffered badly from buggy BMS, and have recovered to 441V thus far). With 59m on GOM I was unsure if it would be enough for my 26m journey. I set off knowing I could rapid charge at 12m, or visit Tesco at 21m. Following the 2m trip through town, I set ACC to 55 mph (geez that is boring). Heating one blob, seats off, outside temp 9°C. I actually managed to get to work with 16m left. Power limited to 55% if flooring. Voltage showing 389V. I connected to podpoint, claimed my charge, and went to work. Returned to car 7 hours later to find podpoint had kicked out after the initial 15 minute period. Moved to local BP rapid charger, taking 8.2kWh in 13 minutes, at a cost of £3.46. This gave me 64m in N which I felt confident would do the 26m home, using 2 blobs of heat, and ACC set to 65 mph. I arrived home with 27m showing, and can confirm that the car would deliver 100% power in all modes. SUMMARY: GOM consumed 43m over 26m journey. Power good (recovered since BMS update). Car able to do 90m on full charge, with temp approx 9°C. Journey at 55mph rewarded 3.5m/kWh. Same journey at 70mph gives 2.8m/kWh.
I know what you mean about how boring it feels having to set ACC to slow!

I can't figure out why people are getting different amounts of power limitations at different times. Maybe it is because your cells aren't very balanced, hence when SoC is low some cells are Really low and can't produce much power.

I know what you mean about how boring it feels having to set ACC to slow!

I can't figure out why people are getting different amounts of power limitations at different times. Maybe it is because your cells aren't very balanced, hence when SoC is low some cells are Really low and can't produce much power.
Actually, I was impressed that with only 26m available and battery light showing yellow that I could get 100% power in all modes

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom