Range when using adaptive cruise control or MG Pilot

rjb70stoke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is it just me, or is the car way less efficent when using the cruise control or MG Pilot? I seem to be able to drive the car far more efficently "manually". Don't get me wrong, both systems work incredibly well, though it is still a little disconcerting.

Yes it is less gentle when accelerating and maintains speed rigorously. It is smoother in E mode but still not as efficient as taking over yourself.

Is it just me, or is the car way less efficent when using the cruise control or MG Pilot? I seem to be able to drive the car far more efficently "manually". Don't get me wrong, both systems work incredibly well, though it is still a little disconcerting.
Yes, using the ACC in any form can and usually does result in a drop in range. This is because the system developed by Bosch was intended for ICE vehicles. It is in fact already fitted on the ICE ZS. As a result it draws energy as required going up the hill but then does nothing about regeneration on the way down. In fact it gets worse as it applies the brakes to keep to the desired speed.
I have found that if there is a steep downhill to release the ACC and get the regeneration does retrieve some of the expected range. I have also found that it helps to switch to eco mode to keep the acceleration slower, and thus power drain, when on an open motorway.
But overall after a year of driving I have learnt when to prioritise range, comfort or speed as the need arises.

there is no regeneration in cruise control

The cruise control doesn't use regen so you're not gaining any range like you do when driving without it.
In Eco mode it restricts the cruise controls acceleration so it doesn't leave the Eco zone on the dial. I find it makes driving much smoother, in Eco mode the dulled throttle makes it easier to modulate how much throttle you're applying.

I would have expected the improved throttle control, especially in E mode, to balance out the lack of regen when using ACC. It would be interesting to see some evidence that this is not the case.

Any car is less efficient in Cruise control. The car will brake unnecessarily when going down hill accelerate hard to get up to "Set" speed when going on level or uphill.

It depends on what ‘less efficient’ is relative to. It depends on how the car is driven. I’m sure that there are some drivers who get better efficiency using ACC compared to their heavy footed on/off driving. But yes, generally compared to a good driver that anticipates well and takes advantage of the regen available, ACC is not as efficient. It’s nice to have on a journey though.

I am not convinced. That is why I asked for evidence.
one would expect a vehicle that continues at a set speed over time would be more efficient, especially if the throttle control is so graduated that there is never excessive power applied.
However, the lack of regen is unfortunate.

I am not convinced. That is why I asked for evidence.
one would expect a vehicle that continues at a set speed over time would be more efficient, especially if the throttle control is so graduated that there is never excessive power applied.
However, the lack of regen is unfortunate.
Cruise control is very good on motorways, and fairly level terrain. but as I have found in hilly areas it is as I stated braking going down hill, if it exceeds the set speed and accelerating hard to get up to set speed when going up hill. Try it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom