Range

Phil752

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I know it been cover, but after the comfort upgrade I'm getting 200+ indicated after a charge, take it the indication is incorrect, does mean range has to be done by milage

As you say, there has been a lot of discussion. Sometimes a little heated......like my car..

IMO The only true way to find out your range in your car... is to try it out.....that's it.

Your car will eventually adjust the GOM based on numerous historical factors including your driving style.

The actual range you achieve, will be governed, by many factors, your driving style, speed, the cars setting, the temperature, the type of road....on and on and on.

Try it out and let us know how you get on. Thats my tip.....but I'm no expert.:)

Just to chip in on this subject again; not looking to cause trouble, but I raised this very subject after my updates were applied. Mine will regularly show on the GOM following a full charge approximately 218 miles; but to be clear I’m not getting this......!!
I have noticed that regardless of temperature change at present or my driving whether motorway or town it remains consistent.
I’ve also noticed where before my recharge warning light used to come on at 41 miles remaining it now come on at just over 50...
I generally have two battery bars illuminated when I’m still showing over 75 miles left and worried that the battery level gauge had been affected and run it as low as I dare, but it was fine.
Look I cannot explain this, but I will wait and see what happens when the weather really turns for a extended period of time and see what the GOM shows then, but prior to the update with good weather It was showing 178 miles..it’s all very strange.
I’m sure this debate will continue, and so sit back and enjoy what happens next.
Fact of the matter is you know yourself what you had showing prior and then after.

To try to assist this debate. If you go to the screen which displays overall average mileage this shows ,in the cars opinion, what your average range has been since you last reset it. At the moment mine shows average of 3.3m/kwh. I have covered approx 4500 miles since I got the car in December. So the range works out at 3.3 x 44.5 = 146.5 for full battery useage or 3.3 x 42.5 = 140.25 if 42.5 is max.

Already tried that my average is 4.3 miles per kWh, but reset it to see if it made any difference and it didn’t as 4.3 would only equate to about 191 on GOM.
Look just being honest I’m not sure and I really don’t understand what or why this has happened, however I keep an eye on the GOM and when it gets low I recharge it, but I still work my distance based on a range of 163 regardless of what’s shown or said.

I agree with all that's been said.....the GOM is only a guide....an indication....thats it, as Mark says, when it looks low, charge it up!
But I must say on my first big trip. (155 miles) .....it seemed fairly accurate as the battery range decreased as my mileage covered increased. The difference was about 20 miles up my sleeve and thats about what I got. But my battery light came on well before we got there...quite exciting!

When does you first recharge warning light come on; what mileage remaining do you have displayed?
As I said mine used to be 42 now it’s over 50, which again is strange.

I’ve only had my car a short time, but I’ve yet to see the GOM claim anything near the 200+ range. When I collected the car it was full to the brim with electrons and the GOM said 160 miles. Subsequent full charges now have it reading 177 miles.

I’ve brought lots of popcorn to see how this thread unfolds...
??

I had the fans on (level 2) for airflow - had the kids in the back. No aircon, but was in Eco mode yes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I was happy with the range achieved, and will continue to monitor, but not really driving it much at the moment - really want to though! I can tell I really like this car as I’m looking for excuses to drive it :LOL:

If you switch the fans (Airflow) off completely and set in ECO mode have a look at the GOM then and see what it gives you.

I think the update clears all values and the increased range figures are down to optimism of the GOM. It's predicting city driving, regen 3, eco mode, no air con, good driving and optimum ambient temperatures. Under these conditions 170/210 mile range is possible. I personally have motorway driving as half of my commute so I expect my real world range to be 130 miles and I would expect my range to reflect this after few trips.

The range is the same post update, but reports highly initially because 1) yes it could achieve 200 miles under ideal conditions and 2) Psychology and advertising 200* mile range sounds better than 163 WLTP. Perceived value for money?

In the main I agree with you, but the main of my journeys with work are motor ways and mine is still sitting higher as per quoted figures, compared to before. Anyway it’s strange how it appears to have affect only a few and not the majority, but what the heck it’s only a perceived increase as in practice I’m not reaching those distances anyway....as stated earlier sticking to the quoted range and I’m happy with what I achieve as a very economical driver.

Coincidentally, when I topped mine up to full charge at home for the first time, after only about 40 ish miles of use, it showed the WLTP figure, 163 miles. I know it probably hasn't learned anything of my driving style yet and if I turn on the AC it drops by 10.

I've just done a 67.5 miles trip, A/C on most of the time, E and regen 3. mainly rural roads, and pleased to have achieved 4.9 miles per kWh.

That’s good, does the aircon actually affect the running efficiency figures or just subtract from the batteries usable power.

Not sure, but if you have it in Eco mode, I think it cuts the air con back a little.

Your right it will, but are the efficiency figures based purely on motor power and energy usage connected to drive, or does it take all HV use in to consideration, which would include aircon and heating..

I'm in awe of the above.

I'm not complaining but I'm not getting ranges anything like those experienced above. I suppose going from practically sea level to almost 2,000 feet within 25 miles to get almost anywhere will affect economy!!

I'm setting in to it showing about 150ish on Eco, and I target to get 130 if I need to use AC, window wipers etc.

As a separate question - is there a way to have air flowing through the cabin without switching on the AC or the blower? The range capacity drops by 10% instantly when I touch either dial, and sometimes the car gets stuffy or I need some air moving across the windscreen.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom