Rapid charge advice needed

gnuscubadog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

I'm going to have to top-up on a long(ish) distance journey this BH weekend. Other than "avoid Genie like the plague" - does anyone have any other advice / info? I've never used a motorway charging point before, I tend to charge slow on either the 3-pin plug or a 7kW charger in work. All I'm looking to do is to get from about 40% back up to 80ish %.

Anything I should be aware of? I'm a little hesitant just from hearing mixed reviews about motorway services chargers...

I've used Geniepoint with no issues in Morrisons, but from what I've read on all the forums Instavolt is the one to aim for. It's just contactless payment using your bank card, and charges 35p/KWh. There's a map on the web site Instavolt | UK | Public Electric Vehicle Rapid Charging Network or in the Instavolt app.

ive used bp and instavolt recently

bp ones can be cheeper but some require app or RFID cards, the instavolt was very simple and a nice thing to use, but it was 35p per KWh

Hi,

I'm going to have to top-up on a long(ish) distance journey this BH weekend. Other than "avoid Genie like the plague" - does anyone have any other advice / info? I've never used a motorway charging point before, I tend to charge slow on either the 3-pin plug or a 7kW charger in work. All I'm looking to do is to get from about 40% back up to 80ish %.

Anything I should be aware of? I'm a little hesitant just from hearing mixed reviews about motorway services chargers...
Let us know where your journey is to/from and it will be easier to make recommendations. Also make sure you have zapmap, some people also swear by A Better Route Planner, but that one has to be paid for

Don't just assume that your first choice charger will be working. Plan your first stop after something like 130 miles but maybe have a couple of others planned in case you need to stop for a break sooner. Always have a plan B and C. And definitely test out a local rapid charger when the pressure is off.

Thanks everyone. I’m going from Northwich to The Lake District so only 100 miles but I don’t think I can charge at my final destination so I wanted to top up for the weekend itself too. I’ll have a look at all your suggestions (I already use ZapMap).

Thanks everyone. I’m going from Northwich to The Lake District so only 100 miles but I don’t think I can charge at my final destination so I wanted to top up for the weekend itself too. I’ll have a look at all your suggestions (I already use ZapMap).
My advice is use a granny charger at your destination, if needed get a decent 13amp extention lead to reach a normal 3 pin house socket, that's what I do when I visit people and give them the money for the electric.

I have been most impressed with Instavolt chargers - you simply swipe a contactless card and that's it - ready to charge. I have not found one yet with any issues. On the other hand, GeniePoint has been my most unreliable experience. I tried using one on the day I picked the car up from the dealership to no avail on the app. But, I have prevailed and found that the best and most reliable way to get them to put some power into the car is to use their RFID card. Since doing this, I have been successful every time. BP Pulse also very good.

....does anyone have any other advice / info?
....Anything I should be aware of?
I can't comment on your specific trip but careful planning using Plugshare.com and ABetterRoutePlanner.com will give you useful info to help you plan your charging stops along the way.

and follow the ABC's of EV travel:

ABC1 Always Be Charging
ABC2 Always Bring Cables
ABC3 Always Browse Comments (from previous Plugshare users)
ABC4 Adjust Battery Consumption

for #4 - adjust battery consumption by lowering your speed - this will conserve energy, and allow you to arrive with a higher SOC than you would've otherwise, can make a difference when battery is low or you hit unexpected traffic diversion or rain & headwinds.

Used a 90kW point at Gridserve Braintree a couple of weeks back. Very good experience - apart from arriving there just as the cars were being loaded onto transporters after a Polestar come and have a quick drive promotion. Just missed out on that one >8-(

Also a good experience last Sunday on a 50kW Podpoint charger at Tesco's in Southam (I think. Somewhere in the Midlands anyway).

The 7kW Pod Point jobbies at Tesco's seem to be free but you have to confirm your charge on the Podpoint app within 15 mins of starting.

hi I see you in Chester not sure where your heading to but if going south and using M6 great charge stations at Corley services J3 7 instavolt and J1 rugby 12 Ecotricity plus M40 8 or more I think instavolt at Banbury M6 noth from Chester j27 8/9 there as well at BP petrol stop I’ve used all of these with no problems
Les

I have a similar query I am driving from South London to Skipton on Saturday via M1 and M^ and wondering the best place to get a top up charge on the way. I'll probably try to get 120 miles done first. Starting from Croydon, all round the M25, then the M1. Any advice would be appreciated

I have a similar query I am driving from South London to Skipton on Saturday via M1 and M^ and wondering the best place to get a top up charge on the way. I'll probably try to get 120 miles done first. Starting from Croydon, all round the M25, then the M1. Any advice would be appreciated
We went the other way last week and had a great charge at the Tree Cathedral in Milton Keynes just off M1. Probably too early for you though. We came back a different way but I had noted the significant gap in chargers after Leicester Forest East services on M1, so you probably want your plan A stop to be before that. Zap-Map, as always, is your friend!

The New rugby Services is 125 miles from you, so could be a good fit? 12 chargers available.

Hi greendriver, Not sure if your post says M1&M6 but if that’s right from you it’s junc1on M6 that’s rugby Moto very good 12 rapids then up the M6 to junc27 then when you get to 27 on M6 you will be leaving the motorway at the end of the slip road turn left towards Wrightington for around 200 yards and you will see a large BP petrol station on you right the ev chargers are in that BP station there is 8 rapids there so no problems after charging turn left out of the garage onto the road 200 yards back to the island and on to M6 north towards Preston around 25/30 miles now to go to Skipton at on the M6 at J29 merge onto M65 and follow the signs for Skipton really easy that trip enjoy hope this is of some help
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom