Rapid charge speeds

WalkingBootWeather

Established Member
Reaction score
We have all seen impressive charge speeds from users that arrive at rapid chargers with very low state of charge after preheating their batteries. It always seemed that you needed to get into the 'goldilocks zone' of SoC and battery temperature, and anything outside these would yield much slower charge speeds. In my experience using the ZS in real world conditions arriving at a 50kW charger after an 80-100 mile drive with a SoC of 20-30% I'd typically get 40-44kW in the summer and 28-34kW in winter when temperatures were near freezing. The second and subsequent rapid charge of the day was generally quicker than the first, especially if you arrived with a SoC less than 20%.

This is totally unscientific but it feels like these low winter charging speeds seem to have improved since the Jan 2021 BMS update.

Might be interesting if others can report average rapid charge speeds achieved, together with Max speed charger is capable of, BMS version, ambient temperature, SoC on arrival, approx. distance travelled and any other factors that might impact battery temperature etc..

It would be useful to determine what the SoC and temperature thresholds are and if latest BMS update has improved charge speeds.

I agreed this is a very important subject. But I wish this issues would fall on MG Motor UK to resolve. IF we don't know the best method to match the heat of the battery to the charging speed then MG Motor has to step up and resolve this issue for all EV users of their cars. Old and new. We just had a BMS update and no change to the interface on the MG ZS cars? Why not? We require information from the car to manage our journeys better. 1. We need a percentage of the battery charge on the first screen of the SOC. It's so important place it there and get it in the next comfort update ASAP. 2. We need to clearly see the charging speed and temperature of the batteries (via the battery lever or the steering wheel SOC arrows. 3. We need the GOM (SOC screen to be reshaped so the car images are smaller and the data figures larger. 4. SOC change the image when the car is off and charging so we can see the text on a black background (not the cyan progress bar) 5. List more detailed information about Comfort 2 , 3 and 4 on the Infotainment screen and list the BMS version as well. 6. Please offer a manual battery warmer function that allows for 15mins and then auto-off of the battery warming feature (put that function in the battery lever. 7. Indicate the battery health in a digital diagram in the infotainment system so we can see the life and health of the batteries.

Attachments

• 20201121_165534.jpg
    20201121_165534.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201210_215354.jpg
    20201210_215354.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20201231_184138.jpg
    20201231_184138.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 129
I agreed this is a very important subject. But I wish this issues would fall on MG Motor UK to resolve. IF we don't know the best method to match the heat of the battery to the charging speed then MG Motor has to step up and resolve this issue for all EV users of their cars. Old and new. We just had a BMS update and no change to the interface on the MG ZS cars? Why not? We require information from the car to manage our journeys better. 1. We need a percentage of the battery charge on the first screen of the SOC. It's so important place it there and get it in the next comfort update ASAP. 2. We need to clearly see the charging speed and temperature of the batteries (via the battery lever or the steering wheel SOC arrows. 3. We need the GOM (SOC screen to be reshaped so the car images are smaller and the data figures larger. 4. SOC change the image when the car is off and charging so we can see the text on a black background (not the cyan progress bar) 5. List more detailed information about Comfort 2 , 3 and 4 on the Infotainment screen and list the BMS version as well. 6. Please offer a manual battery warmer function that allows for 15mins and then auto-off of the battery warming feature (put that function in the battery lever. 7. Indicate the battery health in a digital diagram in the infotainment system so we can see the life and health of the batteries.
I know this may sound like a really daft question, but I will ask anyway. LOL.
On your first image, your SOC IS 87% with what looks like a healthy predicted range of 136 miles in "Normal" mode ( shown on the second image ).
And the car looks like it is pulling a charge, are you charging from the "Granny" by any chance ?.
I ask, because the image clearly displays that the charge will complete in 3 hours & 49mins.
At just under a SOC of 90% and plugged into a 7.0 kw wall box, the charge should complete in about 1hour 30mins and not 3 hours 50 mins ?.
The figures shown in the image would suggest a charging rate of only 3.6 kw's or even less ?.
I have a genuine reason to understand the answer to this question please.
Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom