Rapid charger experience

Hot Red 5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I managed to find a 50Kw CCS charger in Worcester that worked. In a local pub. Just wanted to get used to rapid charging.
connected up with no problems and it started charging so I left it to walk down to a local Waitrose for about 30 minutes.
when I got back the charger was still charging but I stopped it. When I checked in the car it was up to 90%.
I was under the impression that the car stopped rapid charging at 80%. Is this not correct?

I managed to find a 50Kw CCS charger in Worcester that worked. In a local pub. Just wanted to get used to rapid charging.
connected up with no problems and it started charging so I left it to walk down to a local Waitrose for about 30 minutes.
when I got back the charger was still charging but I stopped it. When I checked in the car it was up to 90%.
I was under the impression that the car stopped rapid charging at 80%. Is this not correct?
Mine will charge up the same but after 80% it will charge at a much slower rate, not more expensive just slower.

Upvote 0
ALL evs will charge to 100% on a Rapid as long as the EV settings on the car (not all evs have this facility) are left at 100%.

This arbrity figure of 80% when RAPID charging comes from the manufacturers who will only quote charging times up to 80% because it they used 100% as a figure the charging times would look horrendously slow.

Why is this, you may ask, well it is because the car's BMS system throttles back the charging rate to protect the battery when or approaching 80%. 80%-100% will be slow, probably as slow as AC home charging speeds.

As this charging figure of 80% is bandied about by ALL and sundry it has incorrectly picked up as you must not or cannot charge to 100% on a rapid , it has even infiltrated the so called charging etiquette which EV Owners are supposed to follow. All I will say about the charging etiquette is charge to what ever you want, it's your charger when you are paying for it, if you need 100%, charge to 100%, However don't be an arse about it, if there is a queue of people waiting behind you to charge be considerate to their needs. In fact that is all the charging etiquette you need, be considerate and thoughtful of others (something lacking from a lot of society these days) waiting to charge.

Frank

Upvote 0
My first EV, a Citroen Zero stopped at about 80%. I have only ever gone up to about 95% on the ZS, when on a rapid charger, and a long journey ahead....

Otherwise when using a rapid charger, I tend to take whats needed to get home, with a reasonable margin...

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom