Rapid charger not very rapid!

gazter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had a series of issues yesterday trying to rapid charge for the first time.

has anyone had a ccs rapid charge be very very slow? Sat at a gridserve for 1hr20 and it was delivering 15kwph.
charged up enough to get somewhere else. Plugged in there and rapid charged as it should do! Same gridserve style machine!

Could well have been a faulty machine, what is its status on Zap Map? Has anyone else reported the same issue? Was the more than one connector you could try?

Also if it's cold I believe activating the battery heater can help increase charging speed, if available on your specific model.

Could well have been a faulty machine, what is its status on Zap Map? Has anyone else reported the same issue? Was the more than one connector you could try?

Also if it's cold I believe activating the battery heater can help increase charging speed, if available on your specific model.
there seems to be complaints of it not been very fast, 37kwph instead of stated 120kwph. But nothing (other than my comments now) about 15kwph.
terrible thing was this was first rapid charge, our first long journey in the car, and wife was with me. I could feel the “you said an all electric car would be fine” vibe coming off her.

Just remember the fastest charge will be from around 20% - 80% with a warm battery.
It was quite cold, but i was at 13% battery. Would 15kwph charge be considered normal with that amount of battery left and it been about 1C?

there seems to be complaints of it not been very fast, 37kwph instead of stated 120kwph. But nothing (other than my comments now) about 15kwph.
terrible thing was this was first rapid charge, our first long journey in the car, and wife was with me. I could feel the “you said an all electric car would be fine” vibe coming off her.
I would suggest you just happened to stumble upon an unfavorable charger.

Do you have a local charger you can use (pre-vetted on Zap Map) to test it one day soon? You don't have to charge for long, just 10 minutes to see if it ramps up to 80kw.

I would suggest you just happened to stumble upon an unfavorable charger.

Do you have a local charger you can use (pre-vetted on Zap Map) to test it one day soon? You don't have to charge for long, just 10 minutes to see if it ramps up to 80kw.
I was able to get to Lancaster services. It charged fine there.

I was able to get to Lancaster services. It charged fine there.
Ah brilliant, sorry I forgot you said it was fine on the second one!

I suppose it's easy if you do the same long trips because you can get to know where the better chargers are. However if your longer trips vary and/or are infrequent it can be a pain. This is where the industry needs to sort itself out before mass adoption!

Sometimes disconnecting after a few minutes then restarting the charge can make it faster. Otherwise try a different charger.

DC (rapid) chargers are often made up of modules and it's quite possible to have one or more module faulty. This would give you a working but slow charge.

I had this exact same issue, charged at a genie point in one location and got around 14 kWh after 40 mins gave up and stopped again at a different genie point got 47 so who knows

Had a series of issues yesterday trying to rapid charge for the first time.

has anyone had a ccs rapid charge be very very slow? Sat at a gridserve for 1hr20 and it was delivering 15kwph.
charged up enough to get somewhere else. Plugged in there and rapid charged as it should do! Same gridserve style machine!
I made a video including the charging in winter.

I made a video including the charging in winter.

As explained above Rapid DC chargers are modular and it's possible for one or more modules to be faulty and the charger still works though slowly. A typical 50kw charger will have 4 x 12.5kw power supplies in it.

As explained above Rapid DC chargers are modular and it's possible for one or more modules to be faulty and the charger still works though slowly. A typical 50kw charger will have 4 x 12.5kw power supplies in it.
12.5kw power would probably equate to what we got.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom