Rapid Charger - not what is says on the tin?

Cricketer007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, a few days into my EV venture, I found something which I am sure you all have come across ... hopefully!l

So I plugged the car into the Pod Point CCS 50 KWh fast charger in the hope that it would get me to 80% full within a short time. I was about 1/3rd left on battery.

However, the display on the PodPoint said it was deploying in the range of 5-7Kwh.

I disconnected when it reached 80% and it had delivered 19.77 KWh in 48 mins.

Is this the car deciding how much and how quickly it wants?

Thanks

Charging rates vary based on outside temperature, battery temperature and the state of charge you have when you arrive. The more depleted the battery is, the faster it will charge.

25kW is slow but it’s not unheard of.

I wouldn’t say it is particularly intelligent, the ZS EV is just a bit rubbish at rapid charging from higher states of charge in the cold. I wouldn’t say it’s a fault either though.

If you can run the battery down lower and try again, you should see speeds increase.

Another issue with slow rates is when the time for a charge is limited. Most Chargeplace Scotland rapid chargers are limited to 45 minutes per charge. I can understand why but a bit of a pain in the you know where!

I've found that my second charge on a journey is always much faster than my first - I guess it's because the battery is warmer.
I was hoping that the "battery heater" update would address this - but I've not heard good things about it. I was due to get it, but the garage cancelled the appointment.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom