Rapid Charger Novice

pjmuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Before I make my 1st long trip, I decided to visit the Geniepoint charger at my local Morrisons.
I thought I would set up an RFID card as per the website Register an RFID card | GeniePoint and do my 1st rapid charge.
I failed abysmally to add an RFID card, as the charger never said it had rejected it, so I gave up and decided to try a rapid charge. This took me 3 goes using the app, the 1st two attempts resulted in a seat, finish 0 charge including emailed receipts for zero. It would appear that my MG5 has to be unlocked to start a charge, and once started, I can then lock it. The charge worked well, and I got 40KWh charge rate. When the charge got to 80%, the charge rate started dropping, and I decided to stop charging. My question is how? I tried unlocking my car, charge continued. I tried long press on unlock button, car unlocked all windows opened, but charge continued! In the end I had to press end charge in the app. Surely there must be a way to stop the charge from the MG5. If I had used a RFID card, the app wouldn't have been available!

I believe you just use the RFID card to stop the charge it you used it to start. That's how the BP ones work when I've used them for fast (and free) charges at Waitrose.

I did my first rapid charges on Sunday at Fleet North and Winchester South; both were Ecotricty chargers and the app worked perfectly.

I got 40kWH on both and only charged for the time it took for a comfort break and coffee etc.. ; got about 20% fill both times.

Yeah, as greentangerine has said, you would use the RFID card to stop the charge if you had one!

Basically, during a rapid charge the request to stop the charge has to come from the charging unit. To stop anyone other than the owner of the car from stopping the charge, you need to prove to the charger you're him/her so show it your RFID card and the display should change and give you the option to stop the charge.

On no account should you just pull out the charger - it will cause your car to stop functioning at best and at worst, blow a fuse somewhere which will render the car undrivable! Let's just say I have personal knowledge and leave it at that.... :rolleyes: 😂

Cheers

Bloggsy

Yeah, as greentangerine has said, you would use the RFID card to stop the charge if you had one!

Basically, during a rapid charge the request to stop the charge has to come from the charging unit. To stop anyone other than the owner of the car from stopping the charge, you need to prove to the charger you're him/her so show it your RFID card and the display should change and give you the option to stop the charge.

On no account should you just pull out the charger - it will cause your car to stop functioning at best and at worst, blow a fuse somewhere which will render the car undrivable! Let's just say I have personal knowledge and leave it at that.... :rolleyes: 😂

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thank you, that makes sense now!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom